Garage Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgeorge

OK.

Here's the situation:

A local inspector informed me that we are no longer allowed to recess a panel in the wall of a garage.....IF there is a habitable room above it. I can not locate the code ref anywhere. Has any one heard of this? If so, please site the ref....:)

Thanks!!!

kwired

Electron manager
It is not an NEC code if you do have one that prohibits this.

Also makes no sense to me. What is the service going to do differently here than in a basement with habitable space above it. I would be more concerned with what an automobile may do while in this garage but then garages are intended to park autos inside.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Thats what I am thinking also. But will ask this question at our next IAEI this Thursday.

Many times, the wall in between the house and garage is considered a fire wall. I've seen inspectors not let people put panels in that wall, as if it were a 2 hour wall, but I disagree with this logic

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's part of the building code due to the fire rating required for the garage with a habitable space above it. If I remember correctly Sue Borek told me that the DCA was trying to find a work around for these applications. You might want to call her.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think that if you put a fire rated barrier in the wall space above the panel, you would satisfy fire code. There is no electrical reason you can't recess a panel into a garage wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.