Secret code language

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

..... But thankfully, "Billy-Joe's Bedroom" will soon be a code violation....

It was introduced in the '08 with this addition to 408.4:

"....... No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy."

TOOL_5150

"....... No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy."

Ahh ok, so master BR, G/D, D/W are all still OK I take it.

Though sometimes the previous owners take their fridge, so maybe we shouldn't label that circuit fridge, because at that point, it is just a receptacle, but more like Dedicated circuit for refrigerator in the kitchen. :grin:

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Though sometimes the previous owners take their fridge, so maybe we shouldn't label that circuit fridge, because at that point, it is just a receptacle, but more like Dedicated circuit for refrigerator in the kitchen.
That dog won't hunt. Laundry receptacles don't depend on the presence of a washing machine, do they? :cool:

marti smith

Growing up with dad I learned scotch locks and raul plugs and a full boat: wirenuts, plastic concrete anchors and all 3 phases to a run. When I went to work with my first JW, he said "some anchors" and I brought him "some". When he clarified what he meant, I said, "That's not an anchor! That's a Raul plug!" which was the brand name at the time. I am convinced, however, that "Scotch locks" were never meant to be removed once applied.

e57

That dog won't hunt. Laundry receptacles don't depend on the presence of a washing machine, do they? :cool:
Maybe the next owner wont use that room for laundry? That bedroom is now an office, and they'll dine in the living room instead. The only ones that are reasonably safe are kitchens and baths.... ;) Maybe we just number rooms clockwise from the most northern by floor? 001, 002 -101, 102, ect. But even that is subject to change...

growler

There certainly is a lot of colloquiaism in our trade lexicon. Who invented all these words anyway? It's much easier just to point and grunt. :)

e57

~I am convinced, however, that "Scotch locks" were never meant to be removed once applied.
I guess you were not issued the removal tool? (Dikes)

But just a note - they and the many other types of wire nut are not to be re-used...

On the trade name side of things - Buchanans could mean a wide variety of things because they made a lot of items but mostly refers to crimped connectors - which used that same removal tool, just as well as the soldered connections popular before them.

e57

There certainly is a lot of colloquiaism in our trade lexicon. Who invented all these words anyway? It's much easier just to point and grunt. :)
I used to work with a bunch of guys who used the word 'fixin' and 'fittin' - it meant what ever they were pointing at, or you should have been smart enough to anticipate what it was at the moment...

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

We do work in one facility where the electricians are notorious for labeling everything with "new". "New Welder", "New Press", "New Panelboard", "New Office", and on and on. Of course, most of it isn't new at all anymore.

I wonder what that means for commercial spaces though. Everything seems transient, and all the rooms are subject to being changed in name and function. It wouldn't be a problem if Architects could learn to reuse the original room numbers, but they seem to have been trained to renumber rooms on every project.

Steve

PetrosA

So a breaker marked "Sunroom lights" is not only an oxymoron, it becomes non-code compliant at night as well ;)

I'm actually all for architects having to make up basic floor plans just for the EC to use to create a panel schedule. Each fitting could have a code number next to it designating what breaker it's on. It would take some work at first, but later would make a lot more sense. It would also put an end to using six point text to explain the fifteen outlets on one breaker.

TOOL_5150

a laundry receptacle is in the laundry room, a fridge circuit is in the kitchen not the fridge room. so labeling it fridge specifies that it is the circuit that goes behind the fridge, not just in the kitchen room. But if there is no fridge, its just another circuit in the kitchen.

ya know.. I dont really know where im going with this. Anyway - it was meant as a joke.

~Matt

220wire

:grin:I had an apprentice that labeld a residential sewage ejector pump in a panel to what us potty mouthed construction workers called a sh_t pump. GC called the boss up after the homeowner found the fabulous use of words written in fifth grader penmanship in the panel and ripped him a new one. You can't fix stupid

Last edited:

e57

I wonder what that means for commercial spaces though. Everything seems transient, and all the rooms are subject to being changed in name and function. It wouldn't be a problem if Architects could learn to reuse the original room numbers, but they seem to have been trained to renumber rooms on every project.

Steve
I have numbered them for them when they don't use them at all - then leave a floor plan with the panel. The problem is when you have to jamb 4 more rooms between 001, and 002 - they all become - 001.A, 001.B etc. :D

Some places have standards that apply to this in thier spec's...
Example:
http://www.nyu.edu/sapd/pdf/ROOM_NUMBERING_POLICY_BINDER.pdf

e57

Another one - "Master Bedroom" - I assume this means there is a "Master" and this person will only choose that room. I know many would look for the bedroom with the adjoining bath known as the master bath, but what happens when they ALL have adjoining baths of simular quality and size....

480sparky

Another one - "Master Bedroom" - I assume this means there is a "Master" and this person will only choose that room. I know many would look for the bedroom with the adjoining bath known as the master bath, but what happens when they ALL have adjoining baths of simular quality and size....

It will be the bedroom that has an adjacent bath with the whirlypool in it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Not a clue on roundhouse, unless maybe a round light box?

Minerallac is a standoff strap.

wireguy8169

When I moved from Western PA to East Central Pa there were a few differences but not to many, there is a difference at times. Wonder what I am instore for in Maine...

Status
Not open for further replies.