wirenuts vs. splitbolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a rule for conductor size that can not be connected with wire nuts ? It was my understanding from an inspector that any conductor over #10 was to be split bolted , such as a range line.

mcclary's electrical

Is there a rule for conductor size that can not be connected with wire nuts ? It was my understanding from an inspector that any conductor over #10 was to be split bolted , such as a range line.

As long as the manufacturer says it will work, who is he to say it won't?

jeremysterling

Yes, the rule is on the bag the wirenuts came in. These instructions on the bag will tell you how many and what size conductors may be spliced by the connector.

As a general rule at our shop, my boss prefers that anything over a "blue" wirenut (2 #6's) gets compression crimp butt-spliced. We do not use split-bolts, "kerneys" or "polaris" blocks, even though they are all legal in this area.

We use compression connectors with "coldshrink" insulation.

480sparky

the inspector said he has seen too many connections burnt up in his area and will not allow it anymore.

He needs to back it up with the formal adoption of an amendment. Otherwise, his 'shirt-pocket' rule won't stand up... either in the field or in court.

Jim W in Tampa

"Originally Posted by wirenutt
the inspector said he has seen too many connections burnt up in his area and will not allow it anymore."

This is the type of inspector that need removed from the job. It is not up to them or what they want or like. Choice is yours as to if you put up with him or not. Either he sites NEC or local writen amendment code number. Short of that you go to his boss. As last step you take it to court. He will look stupid in court when you have the paper work from the Mfg. saying they not only but have UL listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.