Listing Requirements for Electric Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly

Does anyone have any input concerning 2008 NEC, 600.3, requiring electric signs to be listed. My interpretation of this is that all electric signs are required to be listed and carry a label on the exterior. This would apply to section signs, and custom designs. What is being enforced in jurisdictions out there. As an electrical inspector, I am getting pressure to drop this requirement from sign companies (naturally), but also from my superiors.Any thoughts or experiences?

mcclary's electrical

Does anyone have any input concerning 2008 NEC, 600.3, requiring electric signs to be listed. My interpretation of this is that all electric signs are required to be listed and carry a label on the exterior. This would apply to section signs, and custom designs. What is being enforced in jurisdictions out there. As an electrical inspector, I am getting pressure to drop this requirement from sign companies (naturally), but also from my superiors.Any thoughts or experiences?

The requirement of being listed ,,,,,,IMO,,,,doesn't mean it has to be visible from the outside of the sign. I may be wrong, but many times the listing is INSIDE the light

bkelly

I guess the label could be inside. In my experiences, probably 90% of signs carry a UL label stating it is a listed electric sign, on the exterior. The siign companies are complaining about the added cost of being UL certified. Are moist jurisdictions requiring the listing?

mcclary's electrical

I guess the label could be inside. In my experiences, probably 90% of signs carry a UL label stating it is a listed electric sign, on the exterior. The siign companies are complaining about the added cost of being UL certified. Are moist jurisdictions requiring the listing?

I misunderstood you,,,,yes you should be requiring the listing. I thought you were asking should it be on the outside. Always require the listing.

Many years ago " The flood zone" became "have a nice day cafe". I'm sure Larry knows the one. We were envolved in the electrical. The entire building was finished, all trades inspected, but the lighted dance floor did not have a listing. It held up the entire job.

OTT2

IMO... without a sign being listed, certified, and identified as such there leaves too much open to interpretation. Generally, speaking of myself, we in the field are not, or have not, had the experience or training to evaluate every piece of electrical equipment we see.

Hence the listing requirement. With out this I'll bet your sign company could very well receive corrections they may not like.

Unless you're State or local jurisdiction does not adopt this portion of the "Code" then inspectors are required to enforce it!!

When looking at 600.3 and 90.7 I don't believe listing is unreasonable.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Listing, listing, listing and never let them field install the labels. Had one that didn't have the labels, called out the field rep from UL to inspect it and the sign company almost lost their approval because the sign was so bad.

It used to say in the UL book that the labels had to be visible for inspection, now that being said, as long as the contractor is there and he can show me the sticker, I don't really care where it is. The mall here doesn't want to see the stickers so they are all on the tops of the letters.

UL used to print panphlets on things like lumiaire listing, panel boards, signs, and what not and I can't find my sign one and it doesn't really matter since the ones I have are all from 1998. Does anyone know if they still print these.

Status
Not open for further replies.