balance loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky21

i want to know how to balance a panel board i have 1,3,6 = 1 neutral can i use 1,3,8 = 1 neutral and be ok with NEC

TOOL_5150

if 1,3 and 6 are all on the same neutral - it will have to be doubled in size, amperage wise. so if they are all 20A circuits - you need a neutral that can handle 40A, since circuits 1 and 6 are on the same leg.

~Matt

EBFD6

if 1,3 and 6 are all on the same neutral - it will have to be doubled in size, amperage wise. so if they are all 20A circuits - you need a neutral that can handle 40A, since circuits 1 and 3 are on the same leg.

~Matt

Huh? Circuit 1 is "A" phase, 3 is "B" phase, and (assuming a 3 phase panel) 6 is "C" phase.

To answer the OP's question, no you can not use 1,3,8 because 1 and 8 are on the same phase so what TOOL said above would apply here. You would need a neutral large enough to be able to handle double the current.

TOOL_5150

Huh? Circuit 1 is "A" phase, 3 is "B" phase, and (assuming a 3 phase panel) 6 is "C" phase.

To answer the OP's question, no you can not use 1,3,8 because 1 and 8 are on the same phase so what TOOL said above would apply here. You would need a neutral large enough to be able to handle double the current.

I assumed it was a single phase panel - Since he did not tell us that - thats all we can do, assume.

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i want to know how to balance a panel board i have 1,3,6 = 1 neutral can i use 1,3,8 = 1 neutral and be ok with NEC

Under the 2008 NEC the answer is no even if all three circuits were on different phases such as 1,3,12.

sparky21

let;s assume that the panel is 3 phase and the load of the every single circuit is 20 amp breaker can you still get 1,3,8 with the same neutral or you have add another neutral or side it to number 10 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.