Strange GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have a MWBC feeding two GFCI recepts over a kitchen counter top. One recept is on one leg and the other is on the second leg. Common neutral and no load side connections. There is a range hood with light and two speed fan connected to the line side of one of the recepts. Now the strange thing..........the fan on either speed trips one or both of the GFCI's only when the switch is placed in the OFF position. The light works fine and is not a factor. When the fan is turned to the on position, it will run for hours but as soon as it is turned off, the trip happens instantly. I'm stumped on this one...........

mcclary's electrical

I have a MWBC feeding two GFCI recepts over a kitchen counter top. One recept is on one leg and the other is on the second leg. Common neutral and no load side connections. There is a range hood with light and two speed fan connected to the line side of one of the recepts. Now the strange thing..........the fan on either speed trips one or both of the GFCI's only when the switch is placed in the OFF position. The light works fine and is not a factor. When the fan is turned to the on position, it will run for hours but as soon as it is turned off, the trip happens instantly. I'm stumped on this one...........

You have wired this incorrectly. You cannot share a neutral on the line side of 2 seperate GFI's. What kind os panel is it? You might be able to get a breaker to do the job

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You have wired this incorrectly. You cannot share a neutral on the line side of 2 seperate GFI's. What kind os panel is it? You might be able to get a breaker to do the job

Are you sure you meant the line side? The panel feeding the line side of these two circuits is fed from one big MWBC.

slick 50

Disagree with you. You can share neutral with (2) ungrounded conductors on the line side of (2) GFCI receptacles. The receptacle only monitors the load side and nothing on the line side.

KWH

Similar Problem

Similar Problem

I am doing a room addition ,install new dedicated washer circuit need to fire up new circuit so I double it up under existing washer circuit ( temporary ) breaker the gfi outlet on the new circuit will not hold. I disconnect existing washer circuit problem goes away. ???

slick 50

I am doing a room addition ,install new dedicated washer circuit need to fire up new circuit so I double it up under existing washer circuit ( temporary ) breaker the gfi outlet on the new circuit will not hold. I disconnect existing washer circuit problem goes away. ???

Do a continuity test between the existing washer circuit neutral and ground bar at the load center. Should read infinity but probably does not.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer

Here is a thread that speaks to this issue:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=124536

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
What kind os panel is it? You might be able to get a breaker to do the job

It's an old ITE panel. GFI breakers would be way expensive since this affects 3 circuits. This kitchen has three circuits/three GFI's. The two GFI's on the MWBC are the two that trip the most. The other justs trips occasionally.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ok....I've got a follow up on this problem. I installed some Hubbell GFI recepts today and the problem went away. The original ones were the typical off brand variety Menards sells. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.