nfpa question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Is a licensed electrical worker [nec] a qualafiy worker if they has taken nfpa 70e classroom training only or would they have to be field trained to be concidered a qualafied worker? These are electricians working in maintence departments.

big john

"Qualified Person" doesn't only have to do with 70E training. All our guys have taken classes on 70E but not all of them are "qualified people." For example: We have a lot of medium-voltage. A licensed industrial electrician trained on 70E may be totally qualified to work on 480 volts, but totally unqualified to work on 24,000 volts because he has never done it before.

"Qualified person" is task specific. If someone doesn't know how to do the job, they're not qualified no matter how many licenses they hold or classes they've taken. My opinion is that you'd need either proof of experience or training, or else you'd have to provide training on whatever it is you want to "qualify" the journeyman for.

I would also add that when you hire someone as a licensed maintenance electrician that comes with a certain level of expectation. I would think that if your employees are familiar with 70E standards and with appropriate PPE and how it is used, they would automatically be qualified for "basic" tasks like changing fuses in a 480 disconnect, for example. It's not like you have to personally re-train everyone to make sure they're qualified for every single job they touch.

-John

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I do not believe that mere possession of a union card or some certificate means someone is qualified for anything in particular.

Its about knowing what to do in specific cases. Brain surgeons and heart surgeons are both very skilled surgeons but are not interchangeable, although both might be quite competent in their own area of expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.