means of egress lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting in and testing emergency lighting in a commerial builings . My question is from the life and safety code for the egress lighting do I need to put battery back lighting that can do 2 foot candels of lighting in every pulic bathroom.

mcclary's electrical

I am putting in and testing emergency lighting in a commerial builings . My question is from the life and safety code for the egress lighting do I need to put battery back lighting that can do 2 foot candels of lighting in every pulic bathroom.

Welcome to the forum. To get the exact answer, it's gonna come down to the AHJ. Most places will require one in the bathroom, but not demand it to meet the 2 ft candle rule. Most place I deal with enforce 1 ft candle minimum along the entire exit path.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I agree with Mcclary's electrical that a call into the AHJ is in order.

Speaking strickly from the IBC (International Building Code) emergency lighting is not required in a bathroom unless the bathroom has an occupant load greater than 50 persons.

Lighting in bathrooms is a design issue and not driven by the building codes for the most part.

Chris

e57

Speaking strickly from the IBC (International Building Code) emergency lighting is not required in a bathroom unless the bathroom has an occupant load greater than 50 persons.

Lighting in bathrooms is a design issue and not driven by the building codes for the most part.

Chris
Well maybe out of courtesy too... :roll: A little bit of light might be helpfull to find the door - and appropriately dressed.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
egress lighting in restrooms

egress lighting in restrooms

always check local amendments. I recall that Chicago-land requires em lighting in public restrooms.

construct

I agree with Chris.

If your jurisdiction is under the IBC, section 1006.3 Illumination emergency power. says: " In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas:

1. Aisles and unenclosed egress stairways
2. Corridors, exit enclosures and exit passageways
3. Exterior egress components
4. Interior exit discharge elements
5. Exterior landings

As others have said, it is more of a design issue or a local requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.