Find load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffin

What is the correct way to find out the load of 144 ,110v duplex recp?
3 phase panel with no other loads in an office building?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Take a look at 200.14(I).
If you don't know the loads the calculation would be not less than 180 va per receptacle or yoke.
The load per phase would depend on the arrangements of the circuits.
In theory 144/3 (phases) = 48 x 180 watts or 72 amps per phase.

(Hopefully I did not just complete a homework question)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
that would be true for 3 amps per receptacle...
per circuit would depend on how many circuits and how many receptacles per circuit.
It seems your question my center around a 208/Y120 system and the load distribution. In an ideal situation, your load would be evenly distributed on all the phases.

Jim W in Tampa

Are you looking for the load calculation for service or just an as is situation. If it was residential it would be 3 watts per sq ft but in commercial it is 180 per recepticle and if a duplex that is 360 watts. And that does not mean it will work out ok. Loads on receptacles are seldom fixed and subject to change.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Are you looking for the load calculation for service or just an as is situation. If it was residential it would be 3 watts per sq ft but in commercial it is 180 per recepticle and if a duplex that is 360 watts. And that does not mean it will work out ok. Loads on receptacles are seldom fixed and subject to change.

I may be wrong, Jim, but I think a duplex is still 180 va. Take a look at 210.14(I)

Status
Not open for further replies.