Arizona Electrical Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

It was my understanding that as long as there is only 120/240 in the building, we can use any color for circuit identification (even orange) , except for the grounded and grounding conductors, of course. If there was higher voltages in this building I would definately not use orange on the 120 circuits. In this case, we used the orange wire for interconnect on the smoke alarms....not for a circuit to the panel.
I guess by the 'more than one' wording - you might be right???? But in practice I don't think many of us would seperate circuits by color like that???

(C) Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit, where accessible, shall be identified by system. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means and shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.​
(I couldn't - a local code identifies conductor by "system". And removes the 'more than one' language.)
sf code said:

210.5(C). Ungrounded Conductors. Each ungrounded
conductor of a branch circuit, where accessible, shall
be identified by system. The means of identification
shall be permitted to be by separate color coding,
marking tape, tagging, or other approved means, and
shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit
panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution
equipment.
~~~~~
Conductor insulation shall be:​

(1) 120/240 volt 3-wire circuits - "A"
phase black,. "B" phase red; 120/208 volt 4-wire
3-phase wye circuits - "A" phase black, "B" phase
red, "C" phase blue; 120/240 volt 3-phase delta
circuits - "A" phase black, "B" (high leg) phase
purple, "C" phase red; 277/480 volt 4-wire 3-phase
wye circuits - "A" phase brown, "B" phase orange,
"C" phase yellow. Ungrounded conductors for other
voltages shall be identified by different color coding,
marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.

As far as a violation - I was actually thinking of this one....
(we used grey on the arc fault circuits).

AzVoltage

The grey wire used on the arc fault circuit (bedroom) was used as the nuetral and of course distinguished itself from the other (white) nuetrals for the non-arc fault circuits.

growler

Also, we used different colors for each circuit. Purple, blue, yellow, black, orange....
Just goes to show how different regions have different methods.

Why would anyone bother to use different wire colors for each circuit?? There is nothing wrong in trying to identify each circuit but wire coloring is not the way to go. Typically wire colors are used to identify the phase or the use of a conductor such a ground or neutral. Different colors have been selected locally to identify different voltages ( here it's normally Black, Red, Blue,white for 208V and Brown, Orange, Yellow, Gray for 480V ) and this does help to make things a little more simple for the next guy to figure out.

If anyone wishes to identify a circuit it's typical to number the circuit conductors. A book of wire number is not expensive and can be used anywhere. And it's easy enough to understand.

You folks probably want to know why it's really dumb to buy all those different colors rolls of wire. People don't like to throw out parts of wire rolls and would prefer to use as much as possible. Sooner or later you have short rolls of this stuff and you end up with one circuit with three different colors of wire and this defeats the whole purpose of useing different wire colors in the first place.

A system of identification only has any merit if it is used consistantly on all jobs and to the point where it is recognizable by others in the trade. There is kind of a system in place that is recoginized in most areas and that colors to identify phase and numbers to identify the circuit.

Sharpie

I'm originally from AZ (now in PA Amish country). Yeah I know... People move to AZ not out of AZ. Well it had to do with a girl (good choice by the way!).

Anyway, I don't understand why everything service-wise gets put out side. That seems like a terrible environment to me. It's hotter than it should be (especially in the sun), it's dirty and dusty (can't be good for contacts and moving parts), if it's not hot it's either raining or Jan-Feb. On most electrical equipment, I though it shouldn't get much above 130 deg. F under load. It might get there before the load is ever applied.

It just seem like a recipe for a fire (although I don't know if they are prevalent).

Does the POCO or Fire Dept. require that the service equip. be outside?

220/221

POCO and fire require a disconnect outside but we can put panels wherever we like.

It's much easier and cheaper to locate the panels ouside. A 200A, 40 space all in one is still just over a hundred bucks. One piece of equipment to install and you are done.

It just seem like a recipe for a fire (although I don't know if they are prevalent).

Hey, at least the fire is outside :D

You would think that the elements would do more damage but electrical equipment is pretty tough. I've never seen any real damage from heat. With only 7" of rain per year, there isn't much damage from water either......unless they end up under a scupper.

Sellspanelchange020.jpg

Buck Parrish

I'm originally from AZ (now in PA Amish country). Yeah I know... People move to AZ not out of AZ. Well it had to do with a girl (good choice by the way!).

Anyway, I don't understand why everything service-wise gets put out side. That seems like a terrible environment to me. It's hotter than it should be (especially in the sun), it's dirty and dusty (can't be good for contacts and moving parts), if it's not hot it's either raining or Jan-Feb. On most electrical equipment, I though it shouldn't get much above 130 deg. F under load. It might get there before the load is ever applied.

Does the POCO or Fire Dept. require that the service equip. be outside?

We (in NC) have areas at the coast that require the panel be inside. Or protected from the enviroment.
Local ordinances require plastic meter bases and plastic disconnects for the AC condensing unit.
-Moist salty winds .

marcerrin

We (in NC) have areas at the coast that require the panel be inside. Or protected from the enviroment.
Local ordinances require plastic meter bases and plastic disconnects for the AC condensing unit.
-Moist salty winds .

Could you send a link or more info on plastic meter bases and disconnects, I've looked before for my beach property and haven't had any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.