New construction/ residential panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I think" if it's recessed in a wall. And open in the crawl space or attic then it's not allowed.
But surface mount it would be allowed.
But then thier are as Augie said many variations , such as derating factors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was wondering if you could put like a 2'' pvc conduit on top and bottom of a new panel in a house for the homeruns? Is there a code to doing that? And would it past code? thanks
This is a bad install. I have run a spare pipe for future branch circuits but not for the homeruns when I have access.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Why is it okay surfaced mounted, but not recessed. Why is it a minimum of 18" ? I know that code says so, but why does code say so?

I believe the 18" is to keep any arcing or fire from spreading that may start inside the panel.

Not sure why only for surface mounts. Historically this was done in this area either surface or recessed. For some reasons the inspectors use to allow it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you put a junction box on the end of the conduit there are no restrictions associated with 312.5(C). Derating would apply if the conduit exceeded 24".

cadpoint

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't think of how you could get a water-tight PVC in the top of a panel ?

... was wondering if you could put like a 2'' pvc conduit on top and bottom of a new panel...

Clue me in... :)

IrishRugger

My inspector does not allow this he says all the NMB runs must terminate in panel individually of course it the NMB connector is rated for two wires you may use that. at this time the code reference escapes me. Where is this panel going? Although I have never done this or seen this done, some EC's box around thier home runs. Like I said I not done this

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Gus already gave the code reference in post #2. It is allowed under certain conditions.

312.5 Cabinets, Cutout Boxes, and Meter Socket Enclosures.
Conductors entering enclosures within the scope of this article shall be protected from abrasion and shall comply with 312.5(A) through (C).

(C) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(a) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.), measured along the sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
(b) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
(c) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable(s) from abrasion and the fittings remain accessible after installation.
(d) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway.
(e) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 6 mm (? in.).
(f) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at other points in accordance with the applicable article.
(g) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable cable fill does not exceed that permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems by Table 1 of Chapter 9 of this Code and all applicable notes thereto.

macmikeman

A 2x4 frame and plywood box in is not too extraordinarily hard to do and will get you a green light from the inspectors except for in Chicago where you will be rejected for the romex anyway.....:grin:

I was going to put this in a new panel in a new house. I just didnt know if i could do this or not. I appreciate the input. Yal think i could run a pvc stubed into a junction box up in the attic or crawl space for future use? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.