Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Code simply says it must be secure. Most folks here use a 1/4" or 5/16"

220/221

Here, POCO says to use 3/4" EMT, thru bolted thru framing members.

electrical395.jpg

Buck Parrish

In NC we go under ground if more then 3-4 ft above the roof line. Home owner pays for it directly to the poco.
Most of us temporary cable from the existing old mast to the new meter.

growler

Why does it look like that EMT is attached to a 4" cover at the bottom of the picture? That penetration is going to leak.

If it ever rained in Arizona those "Doby" mud huts would fall down.

Just a joke based on another post about "Workers from Arizona".

Buck Parrish

If it ever rained in Arizona those "Doby" mud huts would fall down.

Just a joke based on another post about "Workers from Arizona".

Yeah , I get it " Those darn Arizonians and the Adobe huts with poles sticking through the roofs. It takes a special electrician to wire them.;)

220/221

Why does it look like that EMT is attached to a 4" cover at the bottom of the picture?

I've been experimenting. The standard method is to just run the bolt/all thread thru the EMT/framing and glob caulk or mastic over it. I didn't like it. It looked like hell and the 1" wide EMT din't sit square/clean enough IMO.

I wanted more surface area for the brace to sit on and I wanted the roofers to be able to take it off, re roof and replace it. The blank is bolted down with sealant under it and the brace sits on top of the nut.

electrical394.jpg

That penetration is going to leak.

3/8" hole, 3/8" all thread/bolt cranked down really tight with serious caulk under the blank.

It won't leak.

Last edited:

220/221

Sooner or later - everything leaks

Well...yeah, but the rest pf the roof will leak before this does. I'm very conscious of roof penetrations and I avoid this back bracing whenever possible.

Not too sold right now on the 4 sq. blank method, but good to try new things.

The thing really clamped down tight but I'm always open for new suggestions. I could have used mastic or sealant on top of it too but it looks so bad to me.

kwired

Electron manager
what gauge guide wire should i use to support the service mast to the roof 200 amp service 2" rigid pipe

How strong the support wire or if one is needed is not determined by NEC. It will depend on how much of a load will be required to be supported and the length and size of unsupported mast. I would guess that the size and type of messenger wire in the drop would be heavy enough since it is supporting the drop in the first place.

Have seen masts that are practically right next to the pole the drop is fed from. The short drop doesn't put much load on the mast at all. In fact the drop runs 10 - 15 degrees from being vertical to get to the attachment on the pole and the pole attachment carries all the weight. the mast is only loaded when the wind blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.