GFCI as a Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I've got a GFCI being used as a disconnect for an AC compressor. I'm wondering if this is a code violation or not. I'm thinking it's just more of a design issue and not necessarily a violation, but I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks in advance. :grin:

One-eyed Jack

I've got a GFCI being used as a disconnect for an AC compressor. I'm wondering if this is a code violation or not. I'm thinking it's just more of a design issue and not necessarily a violation, but I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks in advance. :grin:

Are you saying a breaker or a GFCI receptacle and use the test button? Either way I would say it is a violation. Test Button, no brainer. Breaker would have to be HVAC rated to serve as OCP. As a disconnect only IMO OK.

Last edited:

480sparky

There are GFCI receptacles that are switch rated.

P&S makes a dead-front GFCI that is rated for 1? HP.

Switchratedgfi.jpg

However, you can't lock it in the open position....................

A-1Sparky

A dead-front GFCI was my first instinct for this situation. Does it have to be switch-rated? and Does it have to be able to be locked out? (code-wise).

One-eyed Jack

There are GFCI receptacles that are switch rated.

P&S makes a dead-front GFCI that is rated for 1? HP.

Switchratedgfi.jpg

However, you can't lock it in the open position....................

I have seen these used as readily accessible GFCI protection on whirlpool tubs. Did not consider them for use as a disconnect at that time. I would not want it for my disconnect. I don't use elevators for less than 2 floors either.:D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does it have to be switch-rated? and Does it have to be able to be locked out? (code-wise).
Check out 430.109. It gives the acceptable types. The list does include a moptor-rated switch that is rated in horsepower. I did not see anything in the NEC that specifically requires the disconnecting means to be lockable. However, I suspect that other rules would bring that into play. In other words, OSHA rules or other applicable rules might require the maintenance person to install a lock, before performing any work. Someone else would have to speak to that point, as it is outside my arena.

A-1Sparky

Yeah, this is an existing install. If I had done the job, it would have been a typical NEMA 3R fusible disconnect. So, this install is a violation based on the fact that the GFCI is not rated to be used as a switch?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the UL Guide for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (KCXS).
The "TEST" and "RESET" buttons on the GFCIs are only intended to check for the proper functioning of the GFCI. They are not intended to be used as "ON/OFF" controls of motors or other loads unless the buttons are specifically marked "ON" and "OFF." Products with "ON" and "OFF" markings have been additionally Listed under Motor Controllers, Mechanically-operated and Solid-state (NMFT).

RETRAINDAILY

Why do you want a GFCI on a compressor?

x2

how big of a/c.....compressor

Would it be code compliant if you used a lockable in-use cover?

~Matt

its not within sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.