pipe bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

RETRAINDAILY

I was looking at relocating a flour system (demoing a hooper) and it has bond jumpers around all flexible connections.

I'll make sure its all bonded back when I'm done but was curious is this in case energized or something Else. like static ?
:-?

ericsherman37

My code book is locked up in the van and it's cold outside, so I can't offer a code reference, but I believe if a flexible connection is utilized because the connected equipment may be subject to movement, then the flex can't be used as an EGC and it needs to be bonded around.

Though I imagine if you pull an EGC inside the pipe with the other conductors like you're supposed to (and land it on something of course) then you'd be good to go.

P.S. What is a hooper? Do you mean hopper?

RETRAINDAILY

My code book is locked up in the van and it's cold outside, so I can't offer a code reference, but I believe if a flexible connection is utilized because the connected equipment may be subject to movement, then the flex can't be used as an EGC and it needs to be bonded around.

Though I imagine if you pull an EGC inside the pipe with the other conductors like you're supposed to (and land it on something of course) then you'd be good to go.

P.S. What is a hooper? Do you mean hopper?

yes hopper:roll:

its the product pipe that the flour flows in that has the jumper and they all have plastic hose to there valves witch are air.

SG-1

I think you are correct thinking static electricity. The flour dust blowing through a pipe would probably cause a good charge to form. Nearly any dust in high concentration has a potential to ignite.

RETRAINDAILY

I looked all over the NFPA 70 the only thing I could find for static was directing me to NFPA 30 witch is flammable liquid

So I was thinking its just 250.104

Then I found NFPA 61 chapter 11 still no mention of static just that it had to be bonded

It's not a flour plant...they just have a flour line running through it, to hoppers for the different mixers.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Try NFPA 77. There is a possibility of the flow of the flour producing static that has enough energy to ignite the flour. If this is a pneumatic transfer system, such an ignition within the piping would be very unlikely, however at the points of discharge such an ignition is very possible.

RETRAINDAILY

Try NFPA 77. There is a possibility of the flow of the flour producing static that has enough energy to ignite the flour. If this is a pneumatic transfer system, such an ignition within the piping would be very unlikely, however at the points of discharge such an ignition is very possible.

THANKS!!!

that is exactly what I was looking for!! in chapter 9

This Industrial I have about 6 yrs in. mostly pipe and terminating but it has allot of variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.