New meter enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Well, those of you who said the service head would have to be relocated were correct. The inspector called me and said that for the most part I did a great job but the weather-head would have to be relocated to another spot on the house. Apparently the POCO's service height requirement over a flat roof is 8'. He originally suggested that I put up a mast, but there was no location on the house where I could do that effectively. I met with the POCO yesterday and they will allow me to re-install a new piece of SE cable to the front peak of the addition with the flat roof and leave the meter enclosure where it is. 60' of SE cable - Good thing I had a few extra $$ in the job.;)
Well....."It is what it is..." (One of my favorite sayings...)

One of the reasons I mentioned relocation was that - I've been there before.
(I had to move an existing point of attachment up an additional 18' to a location not accessible and >3' from an operable window. Putting it beyond the reach of any ladder. Which was not an easy task and required a lift for the day. Street use permits etc. And re-doing the entire riser...)

And you nearly hinted to it in the OP - although you might not have even realized it. (And the picture on the roof was a violation of 230.24 - even though you did not put the attachment there...)

The poco insisted that she have her service upgraded.
And -
No they're not, but I believe that the poco has never gone up on this roof or attemped to crimp these wires since the 1950's. They'll have to replace the triplex when they come to inspect.

If you think like a POCO Rep or Estimator, or Foreman - they don't want to 'stand' anywhere - to do anything (short of drink coffee) - they want complete isolation from the structure and especially any grounded surface. But they also don't want liability of being on a structure to work, or have some kid get access to their line from a roof or window and think how neat it would be to use it as a zip line...

Since I had my little re-do - at expense and considerable at that - I look at the (e) service as an obsolete location and design the service as if it never had one before. Then only if the (e) service comes into that plan will I consider integrating it.

FWIW I have a violation of 230.24 in my own back yard - I added a deck - which now makes my point of atachment a violation - but I am yet to figure out a new place for it - as short of building an addition or seperate structure - there is no compliant location.... I might have to build a shed, pole or tower in the yard for it to mount to, and remove a tree to do it... ;)

Article 90.1

Satcom,

I agree. However, the squeeze connectors became customary procedure as the POCO would come by anywhere from hours after the cut in, or within the week. There are many times, however, where they never came back. So what was happening is the electricians were using POCO specked bugs that were in the $25 a piece range back then, and the POCO would come along and just cut them out and use their own burndy crimps. Electricians grew tired of throwing $75 away per service. The thing to remember is that the connection should be under no physical stress or strain if properly stood off. Is this practice the right thing to do, probably not.

The great thing about doing a service change under JCP&L was that (I'm not sure how they do it now) you could cut the service in as soon as you were done, call in your inspection, send your re-inspection waiver card to the POCO to so that they could re-cut in later that week, or whatever fit their schedule and be done with it. Where I practice now, if I finish the service upgrade/change at 1PM, I may have to wait for the inspector for another 3 hours, then another 2 hours for the utility.

mcclary's electrical

Satcom,

I agree. However, the squeeze connectors became customary procedure as the POCO would come by anywhere from hours after the cut in, or within the week. There are many times, however, where they never came back. So what was happening is the electricians were using POCO specked bugs that were in the $25 a piece range back then, and the POCO would come along and just cut them out and use their own burndy crimps. Electricians grew tired of throwing $75 away per service. The thing to remember is that the connection should be under no physical stress or strain if properly stood off. Is this practice the right thing to do, probably not.

The great thing about doing a service change under JCP&L was that (I'm not sure how they do it now) you could cut the service in as soon as you were done, call in your inspection, send your re-inspection waiver card to the POCO to so that they could re-cut in later that week, or whatever fit their schedule and be done with it. Where I practice now, if I finish the service upgrade/change at 1PM, I may have to wait for the inspector for another 3 hours, then another 2 hours for the utility.

That's why I'm so glad I'm allowed to "temp" stuff in around here. I don't have to wait for anybody. And the changeover happens on their schedule

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Around here they threaten to take your license, refuse to cooperate in any future services, and deamonize you reputation. Real sweathearts.

We have a POCO like that also. We are not allowed to cut their tag to open a meter socket and don't touch "their" wires either.

Status
Not open for further replies.