raceway drainage

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How do you guys handle the requirement that outdoor raceways be arranged so the conduit can drain?

I need to route some conduit outdoors between some control enclosures and want to make sure whatever water gets in the conduits stays out of my enclosures.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How do you guys handle the requirement that outdoor raceways be arranged so the conduit can drain?

I need to route some conduit outdoors between some control enclosures and want to make sure whatever water gets in the conduits stays out of my enclosures.
For control panels I try to make all of the conduit entries on the bottom of the enclosure and where that is not possible on the lower part of the side wall. Often I will use a tee with a drain fitting to make sure the water that gets into the conduit has a way to drain out. These steps are much more important where the conduits that enter the enclosure have a sections run vertically above the level of the enclosure. There is not a big of an issue with hortizontal runs. Also drainage is important in any loction where the temperature gets below freezing. I have seen conductors damaged by the crushing force that is created when the water turns to ice.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
For control panels I try to make all of the conduit entries on the bottom of the enclosure and where that is not possible on the lower part of the side wall. Often I will use a tee with a drain fitting to make sure the water that gets into the conduit has a way to drain out. These steps are much more important where the conduits that enter the enclosure have a sections run vertically above the level of the enclosure. There is not a big of an issue with hortizontal runs. Also drainage is important in any loction where the temperature gets below freezing. I have seen conductors damaged by the crushing force that is created when the water turns to ice.

In this case ice is not so much an issue as they are going to PR.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Depends on the installation -
eyd1sa.jpg

EYD with heat trace if your in oilfield coldweather country :)

If this smight work for you click this link

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I have a box or conduit body at the low point, I drill a pair of 1/8" holes in the bottom surface.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don....Is there actually a UL listed drain fitting or do you improvise? I'm visualizing a petcock or something along that line.
In non-classified locations, I will use a plug with a small hole installed in a tee, or in some cases, I will notch the bottom of the gasket on an LB. In classified locations I will use a listed drain fitting, like the one shown installed in the seal-off in Rocky's post.

e57

Go down or horizontal into a NEMA 3 gutter or J-box - then up to the cabinet. Water will go into the box or gutter then out through the corners or drain holes you make in it - but not up into the enclosure you want dry.

Undergound is a different story... But done in a simular way... Gravity and a place to go when it gets there. ;)

JJWalecka

I was reading ?Electrical Wiring industrial book?. It was discussing a long sweep rigid elbow and ten foot riser, attached to a treated telephone pole. It mentioned cutting a ?V? or drilling a 3/8 drainage hole at the lowest point, to provide a weeping hole. In the trench, small dry well would be constructed below the sweep and filled with rocks.

Has anyone seen this done?

Justin

e57

Has anyone seen this done?

Justin
Not the "V" but I put a few slices a 1/3 through PVC in an area where there will be drainage (Say over a french drain) and wrap in landscaping cloth.

Or drain rock an area under a christy box at a low point in the conduit run - but you need someplace for the water to go... Which is more complicated.... And whats worse is you don't want to inadvertantly create a drainage system for a large area with your conduit and have it not work.... :D You want to drain the conduit to the earth or other drainage - not become a drain itself by allowing water into the hole you made. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.