can a pop rivet be used to attach ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

Can a pop rivet be used to attach a grounding conductor (12awg stranded with a ring terminal on it) to a metal enclosure?

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Is this riveted ground wire part of a UL approved factory assembly?

esobocinski

Factory assemblies can't use pop-rivets either. If you look carefully at a factory riveted ground, you'll see that it's either steel or brass, and uses impact assembly instead of a "pop" pin. Pop-rivets are too soft to be considered reliable connectors. They're also generally aluminum, so you couldn't count on good electrical connectivity unless you gooped them with anti-ox.

iwire

Staff member
Factory assemblies can't use pop-rivets either. If you look carefully at a factory riveted ground, you'll see that it's either steel or brass, and uses impact assembly instead of a "pop" pin. Pop-rivets are too soft to be considered reliable connectors. They're also generally aluminum, so you couldn't count on good electrical connectivity unless you gooped them with anti-ox.

I have seen plenty of standard pop rivets on HVAC equipment, do you have a source for your information?

There is also no requirement to use anti-ox.

esobocinski

Nope. In fact, I'm an idiot for seeing that some blind rivets are unsuitable for ground attachment and thinking that all are. Lots of non-aluminum options, and lots of options that are hard/stiff enough not to loosen when stressed. Ignore what I said as only half-right and generally wrong.

While trying to find more info, it was interesting to find that the EU has much clearer public standards for whether a blind rivet can be used for equipment grounding.

<grovel>

Status
Not open for further replies.