CTV and Phone Lines in Feeder Trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have about a 100', 240 volt feeder that will be direct burial URD. Is there any problem dropping direct burial coax and cat 5 in the same trench?

Silversam

I would check with the AHJ. I do believe that it is a Code violation. You wouldn't run those three items in the same pipe, would you?

Even if it's not a code violation out by you it's probably really not good for the voice/data cables as far as interference.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have run plenty of CATV (RG-6 flooded) as well as telephone BSW (6 pr buried service wire) from the pedestals at the pad mount transformer location along with the service URD in the same trench to the house. Even ran them with the primaries. Make sure the trench is at least 24" wide and kick the URD to one side and the communications to the other. It's OK if they have to cross but if crossing a primary I like to have the primary on the bottom with about 6" of sand on top of it then your communications going across.

In your case the question that begs an answer is what is the CAT5 for?

-Hal

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
In your case the question that begs an answer is what is the CAT5 for?

-Hal

Hal.......my bad. I'd actually be running a DB rated phone wire, not cat5 in the trench. I think it is 4 or 6 pair however.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would check with the AHJ. I do believe that it is a Code violation. You wouldn't run those three items in the same pipe, would you?

Even if it's not a code violation out by you it's probably really not good for the voice/data cables as far as interference.

Mike Holt would say, don't tell me what you think, tell me what the code says.
Its not a code violation, but as you point out , not good for voice/data. But the code does not care if the phone is noisey, only that its safe to use.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm willing to bet it does not cause as much interference as some think it does. Especially with shielded and twisted pairs on the phone cables as is commonly found. The URD cables are twisted also.

Is not really any different than running a romex and phone cable in close proximity indoors.

A POCO around here wants communications cable if in same trench, at least 12 inches above their service lateral raceways. I myself would rather see them right next to each other so when excavating for any reason you find them at the same depth.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I can't even begin to count how may of these I did for sub-divisions and condo developments. There was absolutely NO INTERFERENCE even with PRIMARY in the same trench! The coax is shielded, the BSW is shielded and twisted pair and you keep the cables on the opposite side of the trench. Don't imagine problems that don't exist. I have never seen a GC yet that was willing to trench separately for the communications so that's the way it's always done and there has never been a problem.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.