This Code is not intended as a design specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If so then what is part IV of 422 telling me? I am trying to justify the requirement for the installer to provide GFCI protection for a drinking fountain and I find that falls under appliances/construction. So therefore that would be the manufactures responsibility and in direct conflict with the title of this thread???

Thanks

mxslick

Another example is how the NEC now requires new vending equipment to have GFCI protection as part of the factory power cord.

The Code, which is overall quite good, has quite a few questionable sections/rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have said it before and it remains my opinion that a lot of the rules in Article 422 and some rules in other articles are outside the scope of the NEC, however this is not one of them as it covers the installation a receptacle. The rule cited in post 2 of this thread is one that I consider outside the scope of the NEC.

cschmid

Another example is how the NEC now requires new vending equipment to have GFCI protection as part of the factory power cord. The Code, which is overall quite good, has quite a few questionable sections/rules.

I actually think this to be a good requirement as vendors are notorious for machines in places that do not have proper protection and their machines are normally well used.

to add: I do not believe the code to be a design manual and I see it being used for and designed as..

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
How about 690 bla bla back feed breaker to be at opposite end of buss, yet you can tap onto the main feeder. Why would heat build up on the buss but not the feeder?

Tape whites black etc.

geerhed

If so then what is part IV of 422 telling me? I am trying to justify the requirement for the installer to provide GFCI protection for a drinking fountain and I find that falls under appliances/construction. So therefore that would be the manufactures responsibility and in direct conflict with the title of this thread???

Thanks

Two days ago I was told exactly the same thing by UL. I tried to do the *cough/********/cough* quietly, but failed.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.