• Yes - I would nto do that without the customers knowledge up front

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No - Anything to save me a few bucks

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

There are limits to it - but.... The 75'X4 of 750mcm THHN/THWN under my stairs may end up some place else... (my wife hopes...) IMO it's worth more going back in a building than it is as scrap... ('Specially since I was paid to pull it out in a demo... It was more than free... Free+!) Is it more "green" to re-use as it is - like all the new schooled LEED Twinkies will talk about floor boards they 'reclaimed' out of some warehouse... Or sell it for scrap to some foreign country to re-process for a few bucks and sell back to me for 2-5X more.... (Depending on the market at the moment) ;) It's almost like money in the bank down there.

~4' scraps of #12 I wont keep and would not waste time seeing if they are long enough. But sure if you have some well organized long pieces with modern and identifiable insulation - why not? IMO the only reasons not to is labor burden, compatibility and condition of insulation (Since that has changed with time), length and gauge... Otherwise copper is copper. But am I saving every scrap to install - hell no... Big re-usable stuff changes my mind... - Example - I yanked out a ~200'X3 of #2 THHN/THWN out of a former dot com building during a later TI - I forget how many service changes I got out of it ~6-7? :roll: That I was PAID to obtain.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, you said

I agreed and added a comment to assume the scrap peices average 20 feet, which I think is fairly accurate based on the OP I quoted.
I think if an installer was going to take the time to make a large number of splices in order to use up short pieces of scrap he should probably take a class on how productivity translates into profit.

With that said, I don't think we know what length or number of splices the OP was talking about

The more splices (Hence smaller scrap peices) the less professional the job becomes.
There is a point that I would agree.

Roger

quogueelectric

This is kind of a heads I win tails you loose poll. I will elaborate that if I had 2-40' pieces of range wire to go 75' with one splice is much different than 5-16' coils with 4 splices to go the same 75'.

mcclary's electrical

This is kind of a heads I win tails you loose poll. I will elaborate that if I had 2-40' pieces of range wire to go 75' with one splice is much different than 5-16' coils with 4 splices to go the same 75'.

I agree,,,,,we all konw darn good and well that the op is not talking about 2' pieces. Everybody blew this out of proportion following a certain persons lead.

The poll has in it's title ,,,, a bunch of scrap wire

and one of the choices is worded as to mean you don't care at all about your customers.

This poll is bogus,,,,,and so are the peolple that are not voting honestly just to save face.

I say grow a pair

PetrosA

I took the poll before I saw the other thread and I imagined someone taking three 20' pieces and making two splices for a 50' run. I wouldn't do that. I would consider using two 50' pieces for a 100' run in certain instances though. The fact that it was a 40 or 60A circuit in the OP's example doesn't affect the decision either, nor should a customer automatically assume they're paying for an unspliced line. There are situations when you would have to splice a line this size ex. transitioning from NM to UF/THHN for an exterior wall penetration. You could design the circuit without the NM but the cost could go up radically. Is that cheating the customer and should it be disclosed? I don't think so. I would certainly avoid splices in underground circuits if the only reason were to use up leftovers only because the likelihood of that splice going bad is much greater than in dry conditions.

If the question were posed differently, I don't even think there would be a discussion: "Do you take short pieces to use up on recessed lighting jobs or for running between recepts in new work or do you only pull from a reel?"

So for some reason, the cheaper the wire, the more likely we are to try and not waste it. Yeah, that makes sense ;)

rodneee

hester pyrnne...the scarlet letter

hester pyrnne...the scarlet letter

she had to wear the scarlet letter "A" around for her adultry and having a child out of wedlock
....unless the results of this poll change; it looks like i will have to spray paint our trucks with a big "SS" (shameless splicers) on the bumper...what time does the poll close

quogueelectric

I will end this with one suggestion. Along with the answers as to splice or no splice also have a question as to If you splice are YOU the one PAYING for the wire???? I think you will notice a trend.

One-eyed Jack

Agreed, let say your scrap pieces average 20 feet in length.

They are NOT scrap until they are on the way to recycle. Used wire is scrap,new wire in short pieces(25 feet or more) is still new. Lowes,ACE Hardware,etc sell wire in 25 ft lenghts. Is this scrap. To answer your question "I" would not put two splices in an 8/3 to make a 60' run. That is my preference.

SPARKS40

I will end this with one suggestion. Along with the answers as to splice or no splice also have a question as to If you splice are YOU the one PAYING for the wire???? I think you will notice a trend.

Paying or not, my concensus is this.....if you are using a particular type of wire or cable when you're roping a subdivision full of cookie-cutter homes for a cheap GC, you should be carrying a master spool of at least 500' for the wire or cable. I use 1000' spools of 12 and 14-2, and a 500' on the larger stuff. I only pull what i need instead of making a loose meausurement or guessing what size cut i'm gonna need, and it drastically reduces leftovers you commonly get if you're cutting off of the shrink wrapped coils. It doesn't cost much to make a wire rack outta pipe and some casters, and we use a dolly to transport it into the house.

mkgrady

Paying or not, my concensus is this.....if you are using a particular type of wire or cable when you're roping a subdivision full of cookie-cutter homes for a cheap GC, you should be carrying a master spool of at least 500' for the wire or cable. I use 1000' spools of 12 and 14-2, and a 500' on the larger stuff. I only pull what i need instead of making a loose meausurement or guessing what size cut i'm gonna need, and it drastically reduces leftovers you commonly get if you're cutting off of the shrink wrapped coils. It doesn't cost much to make a wire rack outta pipe and some casters, and we use a dolly to transport it into the house.

When the 500 foot reel comes to an end and you have a 30 foot piece left over and your normal runs are 55 feet do you throw away the 30 footer?

SPARKS40

When the 500 foot reel comes to an end and you have a 30 foot piece left over and your normal runs are 55 feet do you throw away the 30 footer?

A 30' piece i would save and make use of somewhere, probably use it on a subpanel. My point is that even if the splices are allowed by code, i take much pride in the appearance of my workmanship, and i just feel it's a bad practice to get into. Today it may be a range circuit, but what does tomorrow bring? If you start laying J-boxes all over the place, and there IS a problem with a loose splice because someone got in a hurry, it's the end of the day on Friday, etc. When i go to a service call because something's not working, I sure the hell wouldn't want to think, let alone having to crawl around the attic or crawlspace looking for a J-box a fellow sparky had installed because he was short on material, time, or just didn't give a rats ass, and if i was the proud owner of said new home, the guy that wired it would be gettin' the phone call. I just think it's a bad practice to even start.

WinZip

A 30' piece i would save and make use of somewhere, probably use it on a subpanel. My point is that even if the splices are allowed by code, i take much pride in the appearance of my workmanship, and i just feel it's a bad practice to get into. Today it may be a range circuit, but what does tomorrow bring? If you start laying J-boxes all over the place, and there IS a problem with a loose splice because someone got in a hurry, it's the end of the day on Friday, etc. When i go to a service call because something's not working, I sure the hell wouldn't want to think, let alone having to crawl around the attic or crawlspace looking for a J-box a fellow sparky had installed because he was short on material, time, or just didn't give a rats ass, and if i was the proud owner of said new home, the guy that wired it would be gettin' the phone call. I just think it's a bad practice to even start.

I agree 1000%

electricmanscott

This scenario applies to any installation.

growler

When i go to a service call because something's not working, I sure the hell wouldn't want to think, let alone having to crawl around the attic or crawlspace looking for a J-box a fellow sparky had installed because he was short on material, time, or just didn't give a rats ass, and if i was the proud owner of said new home, the guy that wired it would be gettin' the phone call. I just think it's a bad practice to even start.

If that bad splice is in the attic or crawl space where I can get to it then it's just easy money. The problem is not that he spliced the cable but that he didn't make a good splice.

If I were to make a good splice in a range circuit today it should be working until long after I'm dead and when it finally fails in the years 2055 they can bad mouth me all they want. I would guess that most of the splices made today will last longer than the house (If the splice is done right ).

cschmid

No, the poll is entirely skewed to produce the results you want.

I disagree on this..as the term is scrap wire and that is what the other post called it.

she had to wear the scarlet letter "A" around for her adultry and having a child out of wedlock
....unless the results of this poll change; it looks like i will have to spray paint our trucks with a big "SS" (shameless splicers) on the bumper...what time does the poll close

I doubt it is that serious just say I thought I was saving some cash, I thought I was saving some cash, when you are getting the service call..

No I save it as a 30ft piece of new wire..but if the job I was on payed for it I leave it with them as they paid for it. So then I would not have 30 extra ft of wire.

Now as far as the splice discussion goes on a circuit of that amperage why would you splice it in residential? that is just wrong professionally. A ciruit that size spliced with anything else except lugged splices is asking for trouble in a couple of years. lug splices means you loose money on the splice cost savings as they are expensive. You live in a community and in say 3 to 4 years the wire nuts become brittle and loosen up and they start having problems. they call some one else and they come over find the problem and sell them a new circuit with no splices. they make profit at your expense because not only is the homeowner bad mouthing you so are they and they have the pictures to prove it. Bad business decision.

One-eyed Jack

I disagree on this..as the term is scrap wire and that is what the other post called it.

I doubt it is that serious just say I thought I was saving some cash, I thought I was saving some cash, when you are getting the service call..

No I save it as a 30ft piece of new wire..but if the job I was on payed for it I leave it with them as they paid for it. So then I would not have 30 extra ft of wire.

Now as far as the splice discussion goes on a circuit of that amperage why would you splice it in residential? that is just wrong professionally. A ciruit that size spliced with anything else except lugged splices is asking for trouble in a couple of years. lug splices means you loose money on the splice cost savings as they are expensive. You live in a community and in say 3 to 4 years the wire nuts become brittle and loosen up and they start having problems. they call some one else and they come over find the problem and sell them a new circuit with no splices. they make profit at your expense because not only is the homeowner bad mouthing you so are they and they have the pictures to prove it. Bad business decision.

I am curious as to why these particular wire nuts are going to fail as opposed to all the other wire nuts in the house. Like some of the others I am secure in the knowlege that my splice is good.

growler

A ciruit that size spliced with anything else except lugged splices is asking for trouble in a couple of years. lug splices means you loose money on the splice cost savings as they are expensive.

There are millions of ranges sold and installed every year ( often by installers that wouldn't have any idea how to make a good splice and barely know which direction to twist a wire nut ) and 99.999999999999 percent of these are installed useing wire nuts and yet I would strave to death waiting around for these splices to fail so I could repair them. You get one ever so often because they didn't tighten the wire nuts.

You get very few service calls on hard wired appliances because there was a bad connection at the junction box. I have replaced more of the old tomb stone receptacles than anything and that's because the were not installed correctly to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.