Metallic Cover on a Plastic Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawireguy

Can you use a metallic cover on a plastic box? The scenario I'm thinking of would be a weatherproof plastic box with GFI's and a metallic in use cover. My thinking is that there would be a bonding issue with the cover. I don't have a cover in front of me. I suppose if the GFI mounts to the cover it would be bonded. But to code? I'm unsure where to peruse in the code book to find this.

cripple

Metallic Cover on a Plastic Box?

Section 406.5(B) requires matel faceplates to be grounded, this requirement is met by attaching the equipment grounding conductor to the yoke of the receptacle.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Can you use a metallic cover on a plastic box? The scenario I'm thinking of would be a weatherproof plastic box with GFI's and a metallic in use cover. My thinking is that there would be a bonding issue with the cover. I don't have a cover in front of me. I suppose if the GFI mounts to the cover it would be bonded. But to code? I'm unsure where to peruse in the code book to find this.

If the cover screws to the yoke, it's probably bonded.

wawireguy

Agreed, this is how any metallic faceplate would be bonded.

Chris

Or it's bonded by being screwed onto a metallic box that is bonded. I just like to dot my i's and cross my t's.

I just thumbing through the NEC and saw that if you have a gasket that is 1/32 or more insulating a cover you don't have to bond a metallic cover. Can't for the life of me locate that reference again.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sometimes, you have to be inventive:

groundedblank.jpg

:D

mxslick

Ruh,ro Rastro..I have installed a violation then...at our Ren Festival site I put a metal single-gang blank cover on a plastic box over an unused switch location...and I didn't bond it to the ecg....Oh the humanity....:roll: :grin:

I'm not losing sleep over it.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Ruh,ro Rastro..I have installed a violation then...at our Ren Festival site I put a metal single-gang blank cover on a plastic box over an unused switch location...and I didn't bond it to the ecg....Oh the humanity....:roll: :grin:

Forgive me moderator for I have sinned. It has been three weeks since my last confession . . . :grin:

Dave58er

I put a metal single-gang blank cover on a plastic box over an unused switch location...and I didn't bond it to the ecg....
:grin:
I got cited by an inspector for the first time for doing this exact thing.

It was a friends house in the middle of nowhere and the only place to get parts was a small hardware store that only had metal covers. :roll:

I didn't argue because I thought he was right.

Later I saw an argument here that an install like that wasn't "likely to be energized" and was legal but I don't know what came of that. :confused:

I'd look it up myself but my code book is waaaay over there........

Smart $

Esteemed Member
:grin:
I got cited by an inspector for the first time for doing this exact thing.

It was a friends house in the middle of nowhere and the only place to get parts was a small hardware store that only had metal covers. :roll:

I didn't argue because I thought he was right.

Later I saw an argument here that an install like that wasn't "likely to be energized" and was legal but I don't know what came of that. :confused:

I'd look it up myself but my code book is waaaay over there........
Mine's quite near ;)

This is covered by 314.25(A), which requires metal covers and plates be grounded per 250.110. Unlikely to be energized does not relinquish the requirement. Besides, the only metal cover on a box that is unlikely to be energized is one that is not part of a complete system.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

If a blank metallic cover on a plastic box is required to be bonded, why in the world would the NEC allow 250.86 Ex 2 to be legal? Seems like selective enforcement to me. If the conductors in the plastic J box are properly installed, there is no way the cover could become energized.

wawireguy

Alright, I'm a happy camper. Found my code snippet I read yesterday, 314.41. That section wasn't in context to my original post but was driving me crazy not being able to find it. Think the reasoning for it is to prevent electrolysis on dissimilar materials. Guessing on that one though. I've been guilty in the past of using a metal cover on a plastic box also. Won't happen again unless it is bonded.

As we speak little Timmy is standing in a puddle next to that box the cover of which has been energized by the brazed conductor pressing againt the cover, just waiting, waiting for that differance in potential, poor little Timmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.