GFCI Protection of Garbage Disposal Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
In a commercial breakroom which does not meet the definition of a kitchen, what is the consensus on whether a NEMA 5-20R receptacle installed under a sink to serve a garbage disposal requires GFCI protection? Is the area in the base cabinet under a sink considered to be "within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink"?

raider1

Staff member
Yes, the garbage disposal receptacle would be within 6' of the edge of the sink IMHO, and would require GFCI protection under the 2008 NEC in accordance with 210.8(B)(5).

Chris

Keri_WW

If you plugged in a hair dryer with a six foot cord in that outlet, could you drop it in the sink? :grin:

gndrod

GFCI-Disposer

GFCI-Disposer

In a commercial breakroom which does not meet the definition of a kitchen, what is the consensus on whether a NEMA 5-20R receptacle installed under a sink to serve a garbage disposal requires GFCI protection? Is the area in the base cabinet under a sink considered to be "within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink"?

Be aware that commercial disposers 230V rated do not require a GFCI.

I would say if the base cabinets have doors on them, separating "the path of string" from the receptacle and the sink, then no GFCI is required.

raider1

Staff member
Tell us more about this 'path of string' theory.

String theory is a developing theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity. The strings of string theory are one-dimensional oscillating lines, but they are no longer considered fundamental to the theory, which can be formulated in terms of points or surfaces too..........:D:D:D

Chris

480sparky

String theory is a developing theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity. The strings of string theory are one-dimensional oscillating lines, but they are no longer considered fundamental to the theory, which can be formulated in terms of points or surfaces too..........:D:D:D

Chris

OK, Sam. I hope Al shows up soon with his Ziggy-communicator thingy.

OhBoy.gif

Handlink_3.jpg

One-eyed Jack

Yes, the garbage disposal receptacle would be within 6' of the edge of the sink IMHO, and would require GFCI protection under the 2008 NEC in accordance with 210.8(B)(5).

Chris

Using this same logic if we put a receptacle for a dishwasher then you would GFCI. If we hardwire the dishwasher or disposal no GFCI? Not disagreeing just looking for opinion.

jumper

Using this same logic if we put a receptacle for a dishwasher then you would GFCI.

I believe so.

If we hardwire the dishwasher or disposal no GFCI?

No GFCI.

Not disagreeing just looking for opinion.

I am still on 05,so I do not how the AHJ will make the call here. But as written, 6' in any direction - up,down, or sideways- or in a cabinet. I am hoping common sense prevails.

raider1

Staff member
Using this same logic if we put a receptacle for a dishwasher then you would GFCI. If we hardwire the dishwasher or disposal no GFCI? Not disagreeing just looking for opinion.

Correct, if a receptacle for a dishwasher is within 6' of the edge of a wet bar sink then it must be GFCI protected. GFCI protection is not required for hardwired appliances within 6' of the edge of a wet bar sink.

Chris

One-eyed Jack

Correct, if a receptacle for a dishwasher is within 6' of the edge of a wet bar sink then it must be GFCI protected. GFCI protection is not required for hardwired appliances within 6' of the edge of a wet bar sink.

Chris

I agree. When they want to put a rec for dishwasher and they find out a GFCI is required they go for hardwired.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Lets not forget that this is a commercial scenario. You wouldn't need a gfi recept in a non counter top area in a dwelling.

raider1

Staff member
Lets not forget that this is a commercial scenario. You wouldn't need a gfi recept in a non counter top area in a dwelling.

Actually in a dwelling unit if it is not a kitchen and a wet bar location then any receptacle within 6' of the edge of the wet bar sink would need to be GFCI protected even under the counter top.

Chris

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Actually in a dwelling unit if it is not a kitchen and a wet bar location then any receptacle within 6' of the edge of the wet bar sink would need to be GFCI protected even under the counter top.

Chris

I agree....I was just thinking kitchen here. I just question the logic of the code looking at a wet bar and a kitchen in a different realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.