Elevator Recall requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyit2005

My foreman in the field called me yesterday and asked me if I knew about the new requirements for elevator recall. He said the elevator contractor told him that the elevator needs heat detector and smoke detector in the elevator shaft even if it's not sprinkled. Is this true? Also, what is the height in the elevator pit before I can do away of putting detectors in the pit?:-?
Thanks in advance.

mtfallsmikey

Not sure of minimum pit depth requirement, but heat/smokes are required. Gets interesting during an annual test, and my elevator contractor charges mucho $$ to take the test guy up on top of the elevator car!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The elevator code used in most jurisdictions is ASME A17.1 as amended by your local jurisdiction. Call your local or state elevator code officials for the true skinny on the requirements. Usually there is no heat detectors unless you have sprinklers. The heat detectors are used to trigger the elevator shunt trip so that when the sprinklers go off you don't mix water and electricity.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

My foreman in the field called me yesterday and asked me if I knew about the new requirements for elevator recall. He said the elevator contractor told him that the elevator needs heat detector and smoke detector in the elevator shaft even if it's not sprinkled. Is this true? Also, what is the height in the elevator pit before I can do away of putting detectors in the pit?:-?
Thanks in advance.

For the requirment of detector ( smoke or heat ) for elevator please see NFPA-72. I dont have it right now with me to give you the section but you can find information in NFPA-72( Fire alarm system )

For the pit...if the sprinkler head is at or below 24" you do not need a heat detector. For top of shaft...you are prohibited from installing a smoke and heat if the shaft is not sprinklered. Sprinklers may be omitted in the shaft if the elevator car and shaft are of non-combustable construction.

Check your local jurisdiction for applicable codes. NFPA 72 (edition dependent on what is currently adopted in your area) will provide this direction, look at elevator recall requirements.

Weaver Road

This one has been a big issue around here. We finally got a meet with the State Elevator Inspectors, The State Fire Marshals Office, and our inspectors. We ended up creating a chart with items like: sprinkler/not and building has fire alarm system/or not. And if i had it with me I would include it here.

Our Elevator inspectors are thru the State Building Inspectors Office. We thought we had conflicts between NFPA 72 and A17.1, but with everyone at the table, we worked it out and it made sense.

I will try to get that chart posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.