• Yes - I would nto do that without the customers knowledge up front

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No - Anything to save me a few bucks

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I have replaced more of the old tomb stone receptacles than anything and that's because the were not installed correctly to start with.

What is the most common mistake?

Every bad splice I have ever seen has the same problem. Poor mechanical connection. If the two or more cables are properly connected there won't be any arcing and thus no heat to burn up the wire nut or lug.

Some of those tombstone receptacles have a funky type of lug ( similar to old meter bases, the one's that latch into position before the set screw is tightened )) that many people don't take the time and effort it takes to get a good solid connection and then it starts to arc and all of a sudden the lug is gone. People tend to do better with the simple set screw type of lug.

Making splices would appear to be one of the more simple things we do and yet it's one of the most important. The flow of electrical current doesn't really give any problems but the resistance to current flow can be a real problem because it produces heat. Nice clean splices with a good mechanical bond offer no resistance ( very, very little) to current flow and thus poses no problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say ( my opinion only ) is that one bad splice or loose connection will give more problems than 10 properly made splices or connections.

cschmid

now if you get three correct answers in the next 2 minutes you win a ??

Now lets see the most common failure I see in a circuit that is used for a heating appliance of sorts is the wire nuts and they were applied correctly. it is because they grow tired with the constant heat unless you used high temp nuts. You must remember I normally do not do residential and I do a lot of repair as I do service calls. Tombstones failures are from abuse..I still think splicing a range circuit is not professional considering that almost all the range circuits I have worked on are only in the 20 ft range max. The last time I seen a range circuit 40 + ft long I was in a manufactured home.

jes25

Ok, what the heck is a tombstone? I call fluorescent sockets tombstones, but I didn't know there was a "tombstone" splice

quogueelectric

A 30' piece i would save and make use of somewhere, probably use it on a subpanel. My point is that even if the splices are allowed by code, i take much pride in the appearance of my workmanship, and i just feel it's a bad practice to get into. Today it may be a range circuit, but what does tomorrow bring? If you start laying J-boxes all over the place, and there IS a problem with a loose splice because someone got in a hurry, it's the end of the day on Friday, etc. When i go to a service call because something's not working, I sure the hell wouldn't want to think, let alone having to crawl around the attic or crawlspace looking for a J-box a fellow sparky had installed because he was short on material, time, or just didn't give a rats ass, and if i was the proud owner of said new home, the guy that wired it would be gettin' the phone call. I just think it's a bad practice to even start.
A well trained mechanic is not going to get a callback on a rangewire splice. Give people a little credit.

cschmid

the whole point is not whether we can splice the wire as we can and it is okay to do so. the real issue is does it look professional and is it really what the customer wanted when they hired you?

electricmanscott

the whole point is not whether we can splice the wire as we can and it is okay to do so. the real issue is does it look professional and is it really what the customer wanted when they hired you?

If that's the only point then this one is easy. The customer has no clue whatsoever. I think anyone that deals with them on a daily basis would agree. When you hand them the bill does whatever you wired work? Done deal.

PetrosA

If that's the only point then this one is easy. The customer has no clue whatsoever. I think anyone that deals with them on a daily basis would agree. When you hand them the bill does whatever you wired work? Done deal.

I agree and whatever failed splices I make get fixed for free as long as I'm still breathing. Hasn't happened yet though :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

I always prefer to line up my EMT and PVC runs to look pretty, but it has been pointed out that piping on the siding still looks like a factory to the customer.

PetrosA

... but it has been pointed out that piping on the siding still looks like a factory to the customer.

What's the matter with these people? :) Actually one of the easiest things you can do to make conduit palatable to the uninitiated is to spray paint it. It's amazing how painted conduit is seen as an "architectural element" by customers rather than the industrial work of art that it is to us electricians. The textured spray paints are great for conduit.

cschmid

I agree and whatever failed splices I make get fixed for free as long as I'm still breathing. Hasn't happened yet though :)

My Goss what an attitude toward the people who are your bosses...they sign your pay checks...

electricmanscott

My Goss what an attitude toward the people who are your bosses...they sign your pay checks...

I don't know what a goss is ;) but I think you are disagreeing with me. That's fine but I am absolutely 100 percent correct. I think that most that deal with untrained customers on a daily basis would agree. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.