Lien Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I have a GC that wants me to provide him with a "partial lien waiver" when submitting my invoice.

As a matter of policy, I don't provide any waivers until I have the check in hand. We may be in for a showdown on this one, folks.

If they refuse to pay me without providing a waiver first, the next letter I send will be a "Notice to Property Owner of Intent to Claim a Lien"

StephenSDH

If he is going to pay you for part of the project, I would sign a partial lien. As long as the dollar amounts line up, and the language doesn't prevent you from putting a lien on the property for the final amount.

Cavie

Would you sign the partial waiver before you get the actual check?
If your not trading paper in person, that is always an issue. If your going to his office, sign the partial and trade for your check. If using the mail system, You must use a litle trust on both sides. He should send you your check and you should sign and send back the partial waiver. Anything more than that will require lawyer wording.

StephenSDH

I would make it contingent on the partial check, and put some verbiage in it to support that.

Careful biting the hand that feeds you. He can make your life miserable if he wants to.

dmagyar

Conditional release

Conditional release

With one of the companies that I had worked for, they used a conditional release, which amoung other things stated that when (whomever) is paid (the current amount due or billing) (X) amount, then that portion of the original amount listed in the pre lien was waived. I apologize that I don't recall the exact verbiage.

kbsparky

I'm not invoicing for part of the job. I'm gonna bill `em for the whole thing, instead.

Job is done, bill will be for 100%.

Let's see if they still want that paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.