Jobsite stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

I drive an old van with a stuffed rabbit on the dash. I have been chided about the rabbit and even got the nickname 'Rabbit Lover' from a hand on one job.

The rabbit was a gift from my daughter and still resides on the dash.

When chided, I reply that the rabbit is part of my navigation system and that I have one of the few systems on the market that uses......fuzzy logic.

I just don't take the stuff the guys and gals on a site say all too seriously. Some of them are pretty funny and a hoot to work around.
I had a TV Evangelist action figure epoxied to the hood of my postal wagon - no one said a damned thing... They wouldn't dare....

quinn77

That's a great term! And a very motivational post. Thanks!

I've used this term for some years now...I have worked around many "journeyman", "masters", and "electricians" that couldn't use basic ohm's law. I call these "electricians" electrical installers. To me, being an electrician is a career, and not just a job.

quinn

big john

I met someone in Virginia who had rebuilt an old box ambulance as a work truck. He did a really nice job on it.
There's one of those in Cambridge, MA. They even left all the emergency lights, just changed the colors to amber. Slick looking.

As far as the original post: I've worked on some pretty rag-tag crews. Smile and laugh at everything and go about your business of worrying about you, I've honestly found that to be the best way. Drop your expectations way the heck down (that'll definitely help you laugh) until you can get into a better/more secure contract.

If it gets really unprofessional where it's significantly inhibiting your work or significantly affecting your moral, then you speak up calmly and clearly and without putting guys on the spot in front of other people, because that makes folks defensive and is much less likely to get the answer you want.

If things seem screwy, just roll with it. Pick the things that're important (safe work, no code violations, etc.) and let the rest go if that's what the "boss" wants. They're paying you to tolerate that nonsense.

-John

PetrosA

Now you're in Atglen?

Meet me at my gun club between Kennett and Toughkennemon, blast your stress out on some targets!

I've been here since 2006. I'm in Steelville, actually. I had Lancaster in my profile because I figured more people would know where that was. I may take you up on that offer one of these days, especially if I'm allowed to bring life sized photos for target practice. ;)

I'm really impressed with all of the responses here. What really sucked was being the outsider in the situation but now I don't feel so alone in thinking that this kind of crap doesn't belong in a professional work environment.

Code quotes: I am definitely "that guy" a lot of the time. It's one of the reasons I decided to start my own business and become a mercenary. The more people I meet, the more ideas I come into contact with and the more opportunities I have to better myself. I am far from having the knowledge of the code that I'd like to have because of how long I was away from the field, but I'm working at it. It's not just a job for me.

I think you're probably right that jealousy (or jealousies) are playing a role in all this. The guy who knows the codes better than they do and has the book on his truck and comes in the next day with answers to issues that came up the day before isn't always well received. And I'll bet they are liking my aluminum shelves, especially the sliding drawers ;)

As far as the comments about my truck - I'm absolutely fine with people commenting on it. It actually has been a conversation starter many times and I think it even appeals to a certain potential customer type. If I didn't feel comfortable with it I wouldn't have bought it. What bothered me about that situation was that they prodded the customer into playing a role in their games, which she obviously felt uncomfortable about later. She later asked me all kinds of questions about the truck and seemed genuinely interested. I know these trucks from living in Europe and I knew that I would be happy with one. From what I've heard Ford will start selling the Transit (their version of the Sprinter) here within the next year or two and fade out the Econoline trucks. Better start liking European design, guys :cool:

stevenje

For the record - I have shown up to work as an 'employee' with the following embarrasing selection of transportation modes... And I was comfortable and secure in all of them....
  • Public transit and on foot.
  • bicycle
  • A voltwagon bus I was living in at the time.
  • A company provided otherwise perfectly acceptable service truck with a large lavender triangle incorporated into the logo in the local gay neighborhoods. (Owner had no clue of significant meaning of the symbology :roll:)
  • My favorite - A '74 postal wagon colored blue plaid with CRAYON - boy was that a fun and funny looking ride... (I miss it...)
Out of all of those my old astro van was the most embarrasing - which was a perfectly acceptable vehical for a contractor...

Many years ago we were finishing up wiring a large nation wide grocery store. One of the shelf /display installers drove a old black hearse. Of course he was dressed in all black. He played the part to the hilt. One strange dude.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
More on my rabbit.

More on my rabbit.

Last site I worked the crew that built all the walk in coolers and freezers were from way down south. I called one of the 'Larry the Cooler Guy'. We were shooting the breeze in the parking lot one day and the subject of the rabbit came up. Remember, we were in Michigan and in the middle of the winter. I explained that the rabbit was essential to driving on slippery roads. All I had to do was make sure that I stayed behind the rabbit. (Navigator Rabbit sits on the dash looking forward through the windshield) I informed them that, especially at speed, ending up in front of the rabbit was a bad, bad thing.

Months later the job wound down and the cooler guys were being sent home. They came over to say good-bye and as one of them shook my hand he smiled and said, "Stay behind the rabbit."

I was very impressed that he not only remembered the rabbit, but used it in a unique farewell, one I will always remember.

Before I left that site, I stuck a very small rabbit overlooking the store on one of the beams. It's 15 feet up and still there. I took my daughter there a couple months ago. It's only visible if pointed out.

I also put a plastic horse up on the steel in the back room. I asked one of the employees and she said it was still up there.

The horse was purchased at a dollar store and spent months taped to the back of my work cart. This was a job where the PMs were always putting the cart before the horse so I decided that, for the sake of harmony, I should do the same thing.

One of the great things about doing big construction is getting to meet all sorts of characters. I doubt that John Q. Public has a clue about the level of intelligence that many construction workers possess. There are lot's of smart people in the trade and there are also some brilliant 'clowns'. It's now becoming an art form to pursue levity and at the same time never compromise safety in the process.

growler

I know these trucks from living in Europe and I knew that I would be happy with one. From what I've heard Ford will start selling the Transit (their version of the Sprinter) here within the next year or two and fade out the Econoline trucks. Better start liking European design, guys :cool:

A little food for thought here.:)

I have noticed that when in Europe if you want people to like you and make friends and have a good time it's better not to come off as the typical "Ugly American" and start telling Europeans just how much better things are back home. Let them know that you are willing to enjoy things just the way they are and don't try to impress them with being an American.

The same thing goes for rural America. If you want to fit in then you have to join them and not critisize them for the way they are. It's great to be smarter than the rest of the crew but if you are the new guy it's not a good idea to let them know that you think you are smarter or try to change them or show them up. Let your work speak for it's self.

Earning the respect of a rough necked crew can be kind of hard. Even joining them in their horse play can often be a mistake. If they see that you are a good, competent, hard worker that normally goes a long way toward acceptance. Telling people how smart you are or even trying to show them up only leads to more rejection.

I take my job very seriously and most people pick up on this pretty quick. I'm not about to join in on horse play or do anything dangerous on the job. If asked about this I just explain that I plan on going home with all my fingers and toes.

e57

It's now becoming an art form to pursue levity and at the same time never compromise safety in the process.
Sounds a little deep for most - at work - but I get it. Although the description of the lightening of the spirit through play and comedy sounds amiable - but from my experience - the use of '$5 dollar words' to the "Howard Stern" crowd - to them, it would sound like you're about to tell them what the rabbit saw in his hat on a mountain many years ago, or that you might be in like for some sort of testing for substance abuse.... ;)

PetrosA

A little food for thought here.:)

I have noticed that when in Europe if you want people to like you and make friends and have a good time it's better not to come off as the typical "Ugly American" and start telling Europeans just how much better things are back home. Let them know that you are willing to enjoy things just the way they are and don't try to impress them with being an American.

The same thing goes for rural America. If you want to fit in then you have to join them and not critisize them for the way they are. It's great to be smarter than the rest of the crew but if you are the new guy it's not a good idea to let them know that you think you are smarter or try to change them or show them up. Let your work speak for it's self.

Earning the respect of a rough necked crew can be kind of hard. Even joining them in their horse play can often be a mistake. If they see that you are a good, competent, hard worker that normally goes a long way toward acceptance. Telling people how smart you are or even trying to show them up only leads to more rejection.

I take my job very seriously and most people pick up on this pretty quick. I'm not about to join in on horse play or do anything dangerous on the job. If asked about this I just explain that I plan on going home with all my fingers and toes.

You're absolutely right about that. Some Americans just can't keep their opinions quiet when in Europe and they're the ones that give us the reputation for being "arrogant." I try and think before I make comments that Americans might take as arrogant as well. I said that about the Transits here as a dig in response to the "Ugly" truck comment and because I figured you know that I meant no harm by it, but I'm careful in person (maybe I should be more so here too...).

I'm also sensitive about coming off as a know-it-all. The fact is that I am above average in that area and I learned a long time ago that a lot of people, even other intelligent ones, get threatened by someone they perceive as more intelligent than they are, myself included. Sometimes it's hard to avoid "knowledge" conflict though. For instance, at a garage, house, solar array and barn (all separate structures fed from a pedestal) I asked where they wanted the ground rods. Answer: "We're not putting ground rods here past the pedestal." I said that code requires it and they respond that they're not going to put one in because it will create stray voltage. I shut up, end of story - but it still causes tension. The inspector will settle it for us later ;)

Last edited:

growler

For instance, at a garage, house, solar array and barn (all separate structures fed from a pedestal) I asked where they wanted the ground rods. Answer: "We're not putting ground rods here past the pedestal." I said that code requires it and they respond that they're not going to put one in because it will create stray voltage. I shut up, end of story - but it still causes tension. The inspector will settle it for us later ;)

I believe this story and you know why? Because at least 50% of the people doing electrical work in America are idiots. This hasn't changed in many years so I don't expect that much of a change in the future. It may even get worse because the wage incentive to become an electrician has gone down.

I would be nice if this tade were filled only with highly trained professionals but I don't see it happening.

If you are lucky you get a chance to work with a few really good electricians from time to time but you also end up working with a bunch of goons that really know very little. Construction work has always had a certain stigma attached to it so it didn't attract the best and brightest.

There are people out there that assume that if you are involved in any sort of construction that you must be fresh out of prison or a mental institution.

I think part of the problem is that some people are willing to admit that they're wrong and some aren't, likewise some people are willing to learn new things and some just won't. It's the "Good enough for old Uncle Jed" way of thinking (no offence meant to Jed). I worked with a guy on a couple of temp jobs who's solution to almost everything was to drag out some more cable and a spider box. Never mind that the voltage drop at 40 amps on 400' of 6/4 SO is kind of wicked. Same guy would run 300' of 2g right off a 400a generator bus or bug into the live parking lot kiosk. He even had a code book in his trailer, but I don't think ever opened it, much less actually understood it. I had to stop working around him since not only did he not want to know about things like voltage drop, he just didn't care.

stevenje

I think part of the problem is that some people are willing to admit that they're wrong and some aren't, likewise some people are willing to learn new things and some just won't. It's the "Good enough for old Uncle Jed" way of thinking (no offence meant to Jed). I worked with a guy on a couple of temp jobs who's solution to almost everything was to drag out some more cable and a spider box. Never mind that the voltage drop at 40 amps on 400' of 6/4 SO is kind of wicked. Same guy would run 300' of 2g right off a 400a generator bus or bug into the live parking lot kiosk. He even had a code book in his trailer, but I don't think ever opened it, much less actually understood it. I had to stop working around him since not only did he not want to know about things like voltage drop, he just didn't care.

I worked on a new three story office building a few years ago. The foreman had one of the journeyman and his apprentice putting up strings of temporary lights throughout the project. After they got them up, the breakers keep tripping. They both come over to where I was working and ask if I could look at why the breakers keep tripping. They had already changed out the breakers thinking they were bad. One quick look up and I could see that they had put every string of lights for that floor on one breaker. I showed them both the basic ohms law calculation so they could get the problem fixed. Sad but true.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used this term for some years now...I have worked around many "journeyman", "masters", and "electricians" that couldn't use basic ohm's law. I call these "electricians" electrical installers.
I always called them "mechanics." Even as a helper, I never worked under or with anyone who knew more theory than I did, but I did learn the mechanics of the job from them. But, they were resistant to learning new stuff.

Cheyenps

Hi - I'm Steve. I'm new here.

Lots of good advice here for PetrosA, and good stories too. Bottom line though, is that the only one who can stress you out is YOU.

Takes practice, but you can learn to control it. You feel stress coming on and you ask yourself the question - do I want to be stressed in this situation? If the answer is no, then you decide you won't be and move on. To do otherwise is to allow others to control your emotions - maybe good with your spouse and family, not generally a good thing on a job site.

Staying calm and clear headed also drives the excitable types crazy. ;)

gsrandy

Post project Stress

Post project Stress

I always have a problem after I finish a large multi million dollor project where I work 6-7 days a week and when finished go back to 40 regular hours. I call it post project distress. Does anybody else experiance this?

Status
Not open for further replies.