Breakered Neutral for International Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an application that is used both in the US and worldwide. It is a 230VAC circuit.

For the US I installed a 20A double pole breaker for the L-L 240VAC power in the US.

However, in other parts of the world this is a L-N configuration. Due to other issues with the power we are considering using a transformer to create the same L-N configuration to the equipment.

The question is do I need to change the breaker for the L-N configuration or is it acceptable to have a 2 pole (tied) circuit breaker which will break both the Line and Neutral if either side trips?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I can't understand why you would need to open the grounded conductor but you can.

240.22 Grounded Conductor.

No overcurrent device shall be connected in series with any conductor that is intentionally grounded, unless one of the following two conditions is met:

(1) The overcurrent device opens all conductors of the circuit, including the grounded conductor, and is designed so that no pole can operate independently.

(2) Where required by 430.36 or 430.37 for motor overload protection.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The OP is asking if breaking the 'neutral' is allowed in Europe.
When installed under the auspices of the NEC, the OP stated the 2P breaker will be breaking (2) hot legs.

dbuckley

Confirming; as long as both poles open together then L/N switching is fine.

Double pole switching is quite common in the UK.

Just a reminder that a USA 240V circuit is 120V with respect to ground, its 240V with respect to ground in the 240V world.

If you are building something that needs to be certified for European use you can get 'tri-rated' wire that is acceptable to American, Canadian and European authorities.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are panelboards specifically designed to have two pole breakers serve single phase, 120 volt loads, with each breaker switching one ungrounded conductor and one neutral conductor. They are used onboard oil tankers and some other vessels. In certain hazardous areas of these types of ships, Coast Guard and international regulations require switching the neutrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.