how much grounding do they need to meet code

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman2

How much grounding should be done to 2 large 2,000 gallon desiel tanks above ground that have rebar in the foundation and will have a metal awning over the tanks. This is at a airpot terminal so there has to be lightning protection also. I believe the rebar, tanks and awning shelter along with the lighting protection system should be grounded together to form a grounding grid system. Is this correct and what articles in the code support this. There will be a dispencer also but not sure how far away and location yet. Also will any electrical have to be explosion proof. Thanks for any help.

bphgravity

The lightning protection system can be designed in accordance with the NFPA 780.

GROUNDING of the tanks and related equipment would not be required by the NEC.

bphgravity

No. My point is that specific ELECTRICAL equipment is required to be grounded per the NEC:

1. Services
2. SDS
3. Separate Structure wiring
4. LPS
5. Auxilary Equipment (Generators / Light Poles)

The NEC does not cover the GROUNDING of NON-ELECTRICAL components.

BONDING would only be required if the equipment is likely to be energized by an electrical circuit.

jumper

No. My point is that specific ELECTRICAL equipment is required to be grounded per the NEC:

1. Services
2. SDS
3. Separate Structure wiring
4. LPS
5. Auxilary Equipment (Generators / Light Poles)

The NEC does not cover the GROUNDING of NON-ELECTRICAL components.

BONDING would only be required if the equipment is likely to be energized by an electrical circuit.

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Regarding 4, what does LPS mean?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Diesel fuel is not normally explosive, no hazardous location wiring methods are required. There is an illustration in the handbook, I don't have the time to find if its referenced in the NEC.

juptonstone

grounding of tanks

grounding of tanks

would it be correct to assume that the tanks are connected to some sort of electrically activated pump? Then it would probably fall under 514.16 & 501.30regarding motor fuel dispensing. Note that Aircraft Hangers are also included under article 500 (specifically 513).

juptonstone

How much grounding should be done to 2 large 2,000 gallon desiel tanks above ground that have rebar in the foundation and will have a metal awning over the tanks. This is at a airpot terminal so there has to be lightning protection also. I believe the rebar, tanks and awning shelter along with the lighting protection system should be grounded together to form a grounding grid system. Is this correct and what articles in the code support this. There will be a dispencer also but not sure how far away and location yet. Also will any electrical have to be explosion proof. Thanks for any help.

try section 514.16 and 501.30... also, article 500 contains article 513 -Aircraft Hangers....

Status
Not open for further replies.