Equipment grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJH333

I have several ENT conduits stubed up from a concrete floor I installed a Manufactured bottomless metalic trough over the conduits and ran 2 -2" Emt conduits up from the top of the metal trough into the bottom of the panel. I ran the circuits through the trough and into the panel where i terminated the ground wire on a ground bar attached to the panel and ran the neutrals to the neutral bar and the circuits to their breakers. the inspector wants the grounds terminated at the trough with a lug for each wire or a terminal strip mounted to the trough. Is the trough allready grounded form the connection of the 2" emt ran down to the trough ? Where can I find this in the NEC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I am reading this correctly and if any of the circuits are spliced in the trough then I would bet the inspector is citing art 250.148

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).
Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted in 250.146(D) shall not be required to be connected to the other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.

mcclary's electrical

I'll bet Dennis is right, but if that's what he's citing, then you would only need the circuit EGC for each one that is spliced, not every one

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis, my friend, I have to disagree with you on this one. IMHO, when 250.148 refers to a "box" it does not include a wireway, etc.
Had it said "enclosure" I might agree, but one might have many, many splices in a wireway and surely the CMP did not intend for each of them to have a connection to the enclosure.
I see no grounding violation with the installation

tommyrice

Using emt to bond trough

Using emt to bond trough

Comentary at bottom of 250-148 in handbook ....."where wire type egc is installed in the raceway,it is not required that the wire-type egc be connected to the pull box provided the box is effectively grounded by metal raceway.250-148 states that if conductors of the circuits are splice in a certain box,then the egc of those circuits need to be spliced or joined within the box or to the box.i read this as it's up to the electrician to decide if he wants to use the emt to ground the box or trough

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, my friend, I have to disagree with you on this one. IMHO, when 250.148 refers to a "box" it does not include a wireway, etc.
Had it said "enclosure" I might agree, but one might have many, many splices in a wireway and surely the CMP did not intend for each of them to have a connection to the enclosure.
I see no grounding violation with the installation

We don't have any definition of a box in the NEC. I must say I noted that the article was about boxes but I could find nothing to tell me the enclosure was not a box. I still think, right or wrong, that is perhaps the inspectors line of thinking.

dcspector

I have several ENT conduits stubed up from a concrete floor I installed a Manufactured bottomless metalic trough over the conduits and ran 2 -2" Emt conduits up from the top of the metal trough into the bottom of the panel. I ran the circuits through the trough and into the panel where i terminated the ground wire on a ground bar attached to the panel and ran the neutrals to the neutral bar and the circuits to their breakers. the inspector wants the grounds terminated at the trough with a lug for each wire or a terminal strip mounted to the trough. Is the trough allready grounded form the connection of the 2" emt ran down to the trough ? Where can I find this in the NEC?

As with others If you are simply pulling straight thru no splices the additional egc (wire) is not required to be bonded to this metal wireway. You mentioned open bottom? What about 300.12 ? I realize there are exceptions in the 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.