Job description info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Does anybody here do this kind of work? Pros? Cons? Learning curve? Other thoughts?

We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual to join our team of highly qualified and certified field technicians. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of electrical theory, experience using all Microsoft Office applications, knowledge of and experience using basic to intermediate Algebra skills. We are looking for a long term permanent employee who is eager to learn new skills and bring value to the job with existing knowledge and capabilities.

Duties will range from Electrical Assessments, Infrared testing, breaker testing, preventative maintenance of automatic transfer switches, VFDs, PFCCUs, Relays, Switchboards and transformers.

krisinjersey

We do some of the work you described. Infrared testing runs around $850 a day here and includes the report. Training and equipment were a huge investment which has yet to pay us back. I haven't touched breaker testing, and have no idea what a PFCCU even is:-?. Preventative maintenace of all equipment has been big right now. It seems that when the customer is ready to part with money, they want to see a quick return on investment. Infrastructure maintenance provides peace of mind that ensures minimal downtime, so it's been an easier sell. I'd love to be able to say we only have guys that posess the skills you have listed. We have been hesitant to spend the money to train new hires because we aren't seeing the potential for true personal investment in the company. It's a great list of services that when deployed correctly at the right price can make some real money, and lead to a ton of other work. Your people need to be real aware of the dangers posed by evaluting live equipment and they need to say very little about their findings on site. Let the report say what was found because if they speak out of turn it can be a huge issue. In New Jersey you never say something will catch fire because the guy who installed it will sue you, and you never say it won't catch fire because it's on you when it does. Seems like you're looking for some truely great guys and if you find a tree full of them let me know;)

SG-1

Field Service Engineers

Field Service Engineers

I do not, but I know people that do. They work for another division of the company & used to be called Field Service Engineers. They receive there training by spending a week or two at each manufacturing facility. It takes years to train in all these areas. Then I would guess they could only be proficient in 3 or 4 of the products mentioned. They have contacts at each facility where they can receive expert advice, when they need it.

I have worked with several in years past.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Agree with SG-1, it's called a Field Service Engineer. Would assume lots of weekends, nights, and holidays, because the equipment your working on is either shutdown due to emergency, can't be shutdown until there is a scheduled outage (ususally over long holidays) or during non-shift hours such as nights and weekends.

Pay is probably pretty good, but it will take a toll on home life.

zog

Does anybody here do this kind of work? Pros? Cons? Learning curve? Other thoughts?

We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic individual to join our team of highly qualified and certified field technicians. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of electrical theory, experience using all Microsoft Office applications, knowledge of and experience using basic to intermediate Algebra skills. We are looking for a long term permanent employee who is eager to learn new skills and bring value to the job with existing knowledge and capabilities.

Duties will range from Electrical Assessments, Infrared testing, breaker testing, preventative maintenance of automatic transfer switches, VFDs, PFCCUs, Relays, Switchboards and transformers.

This is exactly what I have done for the last 15 years. Is this a NETA company? There is a lot to know, a very trong theory knowledge is vital. No way to learn relay and transformer testing without it.

electricmanscott

This is exactly what I have done for the last 15 years. Is this a NETA company? There is a lot to know, a very trong theory knowledge is vital. No way to learn relay and transformer testing without it.

It is a NETA company. Feel free to add any additional words of wisdom..

zog

It is a NETA company. Feel free to add any additional words of wisdom..

Being an electrician and a NETA testing guy is apples and oranges. Depending on your testing experience you may start at an entry level position. Chances are I know the owners and the company, but we should discuss this via email or PM.

electricmanscott

Being an electrician and a NETA testing guy is apples and oranges. Depending on your testing experience you may start at an entry level position. Chances are I know the owners and the company, but we should discuss this via email or PM.

I don't doubt you. Do you think that an electrician would be an ideal person to enter this field?

I'll PM you with a link to the company.

zog

I don't doubt you. Do you think that an electrician would be an ideal person to enter this field?

Honestly, not likely. I have worked for a few NETA companies and we never had much luck hiring electricians, but the exception would be electricians with a lot of industrial experience. Most NETA guys are either ex-navy nukes or Army prime power guys. Many of them are engineers. The biggest factor is how able you are to learn and your electrical thoery knowledge.

__dan

Go for it

Go for it

Do you think that an electrician would be an ideal person to enter this field?

Please go for it. That Orange and Blue thread was making me cringe just thinking about it.

You have some good comments. It's likely a road warrior job, some travel and motels.

There are tons of companies, everyone from GE, IBM, Liebert, through precision machining, optical, medical equipment manufacturers. Their products are so precise or specialized that it's an art form to get them to run as specified. They need field setup and field service people with experience, I've talked to a lot of them.

If you work direct, the company's name is on the equipment, they may treat you better regarding per diems, hotel > motel, and travel accommodations. Something to watch out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.