Pool bonding theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Got this email today from a licensed electrician who failed an inspection. Not sure how to respond. I am thinking just cite codes in the reply email. The paperwork was left behind with the homeowner as the electrician was not present for the inspection they scheduled.

XXXXX from xxxxx just called me and mentioned something about bonding the pool she didnt give me much info i thought there was no bonding to be done on above ground pools because of there metal body actually circles and is in contact with the ground in its entirety maybe i am wrong let me know what you require because i have another above ground in xxxxxx i may have to correct thanks

There was also a lack of bonding to the pump motor. The bonding lug was lonely waiting for a connection.

Would this theory work?

pete m.

I would reply with the applicable code sections to answer the question.

As far as the theory goes... I'm not sure that a pool sitting on the ground would make an effective bonding connection between the pool walls and the pump motor.

There's my 2 cents FWIW

Pete

Hendrix

Got this email today from a licensed electrician who failed an inspection. Not sure how to respond. I am thinking just cite codes in the reply email. The paperwork was left behind with the homeowner as the electrician was not present for the inspection they scheduled.

There was also a lack of bonding to the pump motor. The bonding lug was lonely waiting for a connection.

What about the equipotential bond:confused:

electricmanscott

I don't think it's up to an inspector to be a teacher. If you want to give some info that's fine but I'd probably say "you violated these code articles, call me when you fix it."

I doubt that theory is of any real value.

Also, if that quote is a cut and paste from the actual email I'd be checking that persons work very closely. Yikes!

lowryder88h

code

code

Are you kidding? I have found myself leading homeowners through the whole process of wiring. How do you tell them it's not right and then walk away?

As a inspector its not us who are to teach them. All I do is give the NEC article that they are not compliant with. I tell to buy a code book , I feel I've performed my duty as required. :D

Cavie

Are you kidding? I have found myself leading homeowners through the whole process of wiring. How do you tell them it's not right and then walk away?

Unless you are being paid to teach homeowners, who signed a paper when they got their permit saying they knew how to do it, You quote code violations, suggest they hire an electrician and walk away. It's not hard to do.

Hendrix

Unless you are being paid to teach homeowners, who signed a paper when they got their permit saying they knew how to do it, You quote code violations, suggest they hire an electrician and walk away. It's not hard to do.
When they come in for the permit, I always recommend that they hire an electrician. They do sign a waiver, but when I go to the jobsight, I see these people who are so proud of themselves for wiring there little jobs, I hate to say " that is in violation of art..........call me when you get it right.
So, I usually tell them how to make their work compliant.
However if an electrician is in error, I'm not so sympathetic.

elohr46

Would this theory work?

If the above ground pool has a water depth of 42" or greater then equipotential bonding of the perimeter surface is required, located between
18" & 24" from the inside walls of the pool. So I say no, that theory would not work.

electricmanscott

When they come in for the permit, I always recommend that they hire an electrician. They do sign a waiver, but when I go to the jobsight, I see these people who are so proud of themselves for wiring there little jobs, I hate to say " that is in violation of art..........call me when you get it right.
So, I usually tell them how to make their work compliant.
However if an electrician is in error, I'm not so sympathetic.

Sounds kind of ass backwards to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.