AFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletcher

I recently ran into an issue where I was designing an electrical system based on the 2005 NEC. This was a low income housing renovation project. We were providing new electrical panels and circuits in the apartments and a 120V smoke detector circuit. Inspector came to inspect work and made note that the smoke detector circuit needed to be AFCI protected per Code. 2005 NEC, 210.12 states that all outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms need to be AFCI protected, an each bedroom had a single, 120V smoke detector in it therefore, because there was only one 120V, smoke detector circuit in the apartment, it needed to be AFCI protected. THOUGHT'S ON THIS ANYONE?

mcclary's electrical

I recently ran into an issue where I was designing an electrical system based on the 2005 NEC. This was a low income housing renovation project. We were providing new electrical panels and circuits in the apartments and a 120V smoke detector circuit. Inspector came to inspect work and made note that the smoke detector circuit needed to be AFCI protected per Code. 2005 NEC, 210.12 states that all outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms need to be AFCI protected, an each bedroom had a single, 120V smoke detector in it therefore, because there was only one 120V, smoke detector circuit in the apartment, it needed to be AFCI protected. THOUGHT'S ON THIS ANYONE?

AFCI on the entire somke circuit would meet the requirements. You came very close to doing enough work that they might have made you AFCI every outlet, every bedroom. If you got away with just the smoke circuit and new panel, then you should count your blessings, because it may not go as smoothly in other counties. Most places, however, would inspect it the way you wrote it though

raider1

Staff member
I also agree with the inspectors call.

A single station smoke alarm would be an "outlet" by the NEC definition of outlet.

Chris

bfletcher

AFCI's

Thanks for your replies.
As New York gets ready to adopt NEC 2008, what are your thoughts on the AFCI requirements? I know a lot of contractors who are totally against it due to rising construction costs.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks for your replies.
As New York gets ready to adopt NEC 2008, what are your thoughts on the AFCI requirements? I know a lot of contractors who are totally against it due to rising construction costs.

Utah decided not to expand the AFCI requirements for one and two family dwelling units and amended the IRC back to the 2005 NEC language for 210.12. The reason was the additional costs involved in the change.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.