Dedicated Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
yes, yes, yes, if the circuit is a 15 amp circuit. :grin: Art. 210.52(B)(1)except. 2

Dennis, I don't know if that requires it to he dedicated. Can I not still feed my pantry light (etc) from that circuit ?
{as long as I comply with 210.23(A)(1)}

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, I don't know if that requires it to he dedicated. Can I not still feed my pantry light (etc) from that circuit ?
{as long as I comply with 210.23(A)(1)}
I don't think so. It reads clearly to me if you use a 15 amp circuit then it must be from an individual branch circuit.

Anyone else have input.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I enjoy your posts. :)
I had not given that thought.... in NEC language is "individual circuit" a "dedicated circuit"... quite possible ...
as you ask.. others ????

mcclary's electrical

I enjoy your posts. :)
I had not given that thought.... in NEC language is "individual circuit" a "dedicated circuit"... quite possible ...
as you ask.. others ????

Although I agree with Dennis, I cannot produce solid definitions of dedicated branch circuit vs individual branch circuit

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Ah, but riddle me this: I have a refrigerator that is plugged into a receptacle on a 20 amp branch circuit that also powers the nearby overhead light, and this is not an NEC violation! How? :-?

My understanding was that any fixed appliance in a kitchen should have a dedicated circuit. Refers, garbage disposals, dishwashers are always on there own circut..... at least in the homes I rope.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My understanding was that any fixed appliance in a kitchen should have a dedicated circuit. Refers, garbage disposals, dishwashers are always on there own circut.
Your understanding is incorrect.
Depends on the meaning of the word, "should." ;) Is it required by code? No. Is it a good design and installation practice? Yes. Is it worth the additional cost? That is up to the owner.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, you are correct and I as wrong.
I looked for but missed the NEC definition of "Branch Circuit, Individual".
Refrigerators on a 15 amp circuit must have no other utilization equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the NEC require refrigerators to be on a dedicated circuit?

Not required.

yes, yes, yes, if the circuit is a 15 amp circuit. :grin: Art. 210.52(B)(1)except. 2

Applies only to dwelling kitchens and basically permits it to not be on small appliance branch circuit. If you put it on 20 amp circuit it is a small appliance branch circuit even if only receptacle on the circuit - and you could have only one other SABC installed and still meet code.

Status
Not open for further replies.