Opening ITE/Gould SN 424 Safety switch while energized

Status
Not open for further replies.

peetmin

I need to add a conduit to a existing disconnect and not interrupt loads while doing so. Does anyone know the sequence required to open the door on this disconnect while in the "on" position? I have looked at the cams on the unhinged side of the device and it does not seem to be as easy as the Square D disconnect that uses the spring loaded screw head to release the door lock. Thank you in advance, BTW here is a photo of the old boy
ac84_1_sbl_10374_1.JPG
Hope this is landing in the correct thread...
Peetmin

ceb58

Unless people will die or things will explode with out power then the disco can and per code be off to work on it. May be inconvenient or you may have to schedule a special time or day.

mxslick

What does the disconnect control that is so vitally important that you cannot de-energise?

Unless people will die or things will explode with out power then the disco can and per code be off to work on it. May be inconvenient or you may have to schedule a special time or day.

I agree with them, if you can't do a shutdown you shouldn't even try to add a conduit to this. Most discos are very tight on working space internally and it would be extremely dangerous to be drilling, punching or using tools inside while energized.

And if you have to work after hours to do the task you can charge extra. :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Peet, welcome to the forum! :)

"Hi. This switch is made so it can't be opened while it's on. How do I get past that and open it anyway?"

Please understand why you're getting the advice you're receiving here. You're asking how to defeat a safety mechanism, and you're just not going to get an answer here, and for a good reason.

We want you be able to post here for a long time. ;)

sii

Peet, welcome to the forum! :)

"Hi. This switch is made so it can't be opened while it's on. How do I get past that and open it anyway?"

Please understand why you're getting the advice you're receiving here. You're asking how to defeat a safety mechanism, and you're just not going to get an answer here, and for a good reason.

We want you be able to post here for a long time. ;)

I was gonna say "just start drilling and maybe you'll get lucky and blow the right size hole in the box". I like your answer better.:D

zog

I need to add a conduit to a existing disconnect and not interrupt loads while doing so. Does anyone know the sequence required to open the door on this disconnect while in the "on" position? I have looked at the cams on the unhinged side of the device and it does not seem to be as easy as the Square D disconnect that uses the spring loaded screw head to release the door lock. Thank you in advance,

NFPA 70E Article 130.1 Justification for work. Live parts to which an employee might be exposed shall be put into an electrically safe work condition before an employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations.

220/221

If you can't open the door, you shouldn't be inside it.

They designed it like that for a reason.

I know you are still going to do it but, be more than careful.

kwired

Electron manager
If you make the wrong move power will still be interrupted and unscheduled. Depending on what you have there this could be a bigger problem than a scheduled shutdown, and that is not even considering your safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.