Disconnect switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Yes. Line OCP device protects the line side, disconnect protects the load. If the wires fit the terminals, no problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was going to say that you can protect the whole circuit with 30 amp OCPD but then I remembered about 250.122(B).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
missed fused. What would your answer be if the 30 A disconnect was unfused?
Well if it were fused at the panel at 60 amps and not at the disco, we would have an issue with 30 amp wiring on the load side unless this was an a/c unit with max OCP at 60 and Minimum cir of 30-- not likely.

If the 60 amp wiring was protected at 30 amps then the lugs may be an issue but the egc problem could be a bigger issue as I stated earlier.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Well if it were fused at the panel at 60 amps and not at the disco, we would have an issue with 30 amp wiring on the load side unless this was an a/c unit with max OCP at 60 and Minimum cir of 30-- not likely.

If the 60 amp wiring was protected at 30 amps then the lugs may be an issue but the egc problem could be a bigger issue as I stated earlier.

:grin: we would still have a problem: 440.12
(1) Ampere Rating. The ampere rating shall be at least 115 percent of the nameplate rated-load current or branch-circuit selection current, whichever is greater.

(couldn't resist because it was you, Dennis :) )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What hijack? The OP was answered and I thought we were just talking about other related scenarios. I do not see that as a hijack.
If the op doesn't respond then it's fair game.

Gus said:
:grin: we would still have a problem: 440.12
(1) Ampere Rating. The ampere rating shall be at least 115 percent of the nameplate rated-load current or branch-circuit selection current, whichever is greater.

(couldn't resist because it was you, Dennis :) ) Today 09:04 AM

You're just looking for trouble. :grin:

It would be good to know the what the install is but we have done the best we can without any feed back from the op.

The install is a cooling tower replacement. The existing switch board has 60A, 250V fuses which will be replaced w/40A TD fuses. The wiring is #8 cu up to roof top disc. Proposed new install will consist of #8 cu, 30A 3P 240V NFSS w/ HP rating of 7.5 @ unit & 30A 3P 240V NFSS w/ HP rating of 7.5 feeding a 7.5 HP VFD w/ bypass. The VFD supplies a 7.5 HP, 208V, 24.2A motor for the C/Tower. Would the exception for 440.12 apply? Any other questions or comments regarding the install?

Status
Not open for further replies.