Input Voltage vs Operational Voltage on a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitt123

Can anyone tell me what the difference between "Input Voltage" and "Operational Voltage" is on a 24V power supply.

Input voltage is listed at 110VAC -240VAC while Operational Voltage is listed as 85V AC - 265V AC.

Will a 260V input be o.k. for this power supply?

mxslick

Input voltage is the designed, rated and safety agency approved nominal voltages that the supply will operate and produce the proper output.

The operational voltage is the voltage span that the power supply will function at and produce an output voltage within a certain tolerance.

As for your planned use of the 260 volt input voltage, I wouldn't do it, one minor surge and things can start smoking with the power supply or its connected load.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Many power supplies outputs need to be derated if run to the extremes of the advertised "operational range".

Take a look at the data sheet - specifications and they should distinguish the differences between the two ranges.
As a guess I would say that you may only get the full output current over the "input range".

It can often be a power dissipation issue at the higher inputs.

I would second not applying 260V to that supply.

mbeatty

I have had a lot of experience with operating and testing power supplies. I third the recommendation to not use a 260V input.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.