PVC Pipe Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

Sorry if this has been asked, the search function wouldn't let me search for "PVC":

I'm looking to make some cheap conduit holders for the roof of my truck. The simple answer would be to make them out of a couple lengths PVC with some end caps glued on, strapped to the ladder rack.

My concern: I can just imagine one day when I have to slam on the brakes and I'll have a bundle of 3/4 rigid blast through the end of the PVC and go flying all over the road.

So, how sturdy are these types of pipe holders? Would it be worth it just to pony-up for a metal one? Thanks.

-John

480sparky

Most people just buy a 4, 5 or 6" PVC pipe, a cap, and female threaded adapter, and a threaded cap.

If you only keep full sticks of conduit in it, I don't think slamming on the brakes could create enough momentum to blast through the cap.

But I'm a fan of the diamond-tread boxes. At least, they look better, and you can padlock them.

tkb

American Van has a PVC kit that I got for my van and it works very well.

It has an aluminum cap and a lockable door for the end.

You need to get your own PVC.

http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-racks/rooftop-carriers

If you go with all PVC as described by 480sparky, then cut a piece of steel the same outside diameter as the pipe and put it inside the end cap.
This will stop the pipe from going through the end in case you stop fast.

Last edited:

Rich R

The PVC kits are ok but the square/rectangle boxes can fit a lot more pipe. I have the diamond plate ones from american van.

I keep in it

100' 1/2" emt
100' 1/2 pvc
100' 3/4 emt
100' 3/4 pvc
50' 1/2 rigid
20' 3/4 rigid
2 sticks unistrut
1 stick of 1" - 2" pvc

I don't lock it but do keep a snap hook on it to make sure it don't open on highway. The door on it is spring loaded

bottom line is if you wanna go cheap do the PVC but I can tell you from experience the metal one will pay for it self

DavidA

With the few trucks I've been able to work out of, I've found the rectangle style diamond mesh bottom boxes welded to the side of the ladder rack to be the most useful for quantity. However, it can be a pain when that last stick of 1/2" EMT that you need is buried below the larger sizes.

Article 90.1

Some of you might laugh at this, but I can't afford to give up space on the ladder rack for conduit boxes. So what I have done is to mound 7/8" strut in a recess under my rack and using strut straps have 3-3" conduits with end caps hung from underneath the rack. You can;t fit a lot in the 3" unless you fill it concentrically, 1/2" inside 3/4", etc. I plan on adding another tube in the near future. I also put two screws through the end cap and into the tube itself to add security.

Can I carry all the pipe, ground rods, strut that I want? No, but I can do all of my service work and get the crew started and order in any additional material.

I'll try posting a picture over the weekend...

The ideal set up for me, however would be the diamond plate rectangular boxes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have a 6" PVC with threaded ends on both ends. I want to bolt it to the outside of the passenger-side upright of the roof rack on the E-250.

Back when I was a helper, the boss made a pipe carrier by sawing an in-wall fire-extinguisher box in half, bolting each half to one end of the ladder rack with U-bolts, and attaching a pair of angle-irons between them to keep the ends horizontal.

It wasn't pretty, but it held plenty of conduit . . . as long as they were full lengths, that is.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just a word of caution and speaking from experience, if you use a PVC enclosure and install PVC end caps, make sure you insert any metal conduits carefully. I had a helper insert individual lengths of 1/2" EMT like he was throwing a spear. Blew right out through the end.:mad: Good help is hard to find.:roll:

big john

I had a helper insert individual lengths of 1/2" EMT like he was throwing a spear. Blew right out through the end.:mad:
Argh! I was just getting close to convincing myself that I might be okay using the PVC pipe holders, and then I read your post!

Maybe if I get the metal end-caps TKB suggested. I'm wondering how those attach, though? What's to keep them from breaking off just like the PVC end cap did?

I'd love to have an actual box to store pipe in, but this is a company truck, it's not my money so it's not really my call.

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.