troffer whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Why is it that the manufacturers can install a whip with #16 wire connected to a 20 amp circiuit but if I have a troffer of the same type say a 4 ft 3 lamp unit I cannot use a wire size smaller than 12 for my whip?

My opinion is that according to 240.5(B)(2) , if you want to use the appropriate fixture wire you can make your own whip and use #18 following the guidelines in Art 402.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But, what's the load limit/fixture count on those conductors?
If you supply more than one fixture the conductors are not fixture taps...they are branch circuit conductors and you cannot use the reduced size for a branch circuit conductor.
I can't wait for the flood of "Then why can't we use #14 for switched fixture legs on 20a circuits?!" responses.
Again, these would be branch circuit conductors and not fixture taps.

Volta

Why is it that the manufacturers can install a whip with #16 wire connected to a 20 amp circiuit but if I have a troffer of the same type say a 4 ft 3 lamp unit I cannot use a wire size smaller than 12 for my whip?
You can.
I agree, when I'm doing a normal size office, I'll rough in a 1900 above the ceiling grid. Then on trim out, drop in (4) 2x4 layins, 16 guage whip for each one into the box, 3 wirenuts for one office
Exactly. But of course we are talking about "fixture wire" Art. 402 here, not "conductors for general wiring" Art. 310 (although one (not me :roll:) might interpret THW as being described in the Application Provisions as being suitable for use in electrical discharge lighting equipment, but it would still be limited to #14 or larger).

stew

well at least i posted a thread that got a lot of comments. i had forgotten the requirements for fixtures that allowed smaller wire. thanks to don for reminding me and also for the responder that suggested a factory made whip. When I lay out fixtures I don chain them I feed each individually 2 from a j box located between them and drop the whips directle
y to the fixtures.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are not allowed to daisy chain through fixtures with 16 ga. conductors. That doesn't mean someone isn't dumb enough to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.