Sould I bid it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Do you ever look at a set of prints and get the gut feeling you should not even waste time trying to bid it? Should I listen to my gut?

laketime

It is a courthouse remodel. The building are all added on 1908, 1930, 1955 and 1975. Demo of a bunch of areas with the note of you are responsible for knowing everything and keeping power on to all occupied areas as we rip this place apart. It reminds me of a job I did at a hospital for another contractor who bid 40 hours for demo and we ended up spending 1,100 hours.

Volta

Might need to count an extra hour or two every day for lost time with check-in, check-out, waiting for keys, etc.

See if you will need to pay for guards if afterhours work is needed.

Parking. Tool and material storage area.

Keeping things operational (live building) can triple the time for that segment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used my gut in the past and I never regretted it. Sometimes it isn't worth it. I have also gone against my gut when times were slow and never regretted that time either. It was a bit more challenging but like others have said add a fudge factor to make it worthwhile.

SEO

Sometimes your gut feeling is trying to remind you of Murphys Law. If you go for the job add enough of a fudge factor like the others said and hopefully it is a job that you can make some money on.

cadpoint

Everytime I think courthouse I think high ceiling. Other considerations is you and your help have to have an officail sercurity check. Your tools, tool box will have to be checked daily. Loud work permits, delieveries are a real pain,
and the sheriff and his poise will let you know what can and can't go once your inside their structure!

Hopefully the drawings arene't that bad, it's just the potentional job drama your considering! ;)

Good Luck.

stevenje

Might need to count an extra hour or two every day for lost time with check-in, check-out, waiting for keys, etc.

See if you will need to pay for guards if afterhours work is needed.

Parking. Tool and material storage area.

Keeping things operational (live building) can triple the time for that segment.

Don't forget the noise factor. It can make or break the job. Especially in your situation.

growler

Do you ever look at a set of prints and get the gut feeling you should not even waste time trying to bid it? Should I listen to my gut?

It is a courthouse remodel. The building are all added on 1908, 1930, 1955 and 1975. Demo of a bunch of areas with the note of you are responsible for knowing everything and keeping power on to all occupied areas as we rip this place apart.

There are, as usual, many factors to consider. This court house, is it in a small town or large city? Are you looking to bid through a GC or directly for the city? Is there a way to get more information about the job that would provide a more clear understanding of what will be involved?

Normally when you mess up on a bid is when you don't fully understand the job and everything that's involved. This covers a lot more than just a set of plans. You need to know something about the people you will be working for and with and also the working conditions.

I have never seen a set of plans that stated openly just what a bear some jobs can be. That's why companies that have done the same or a similar job have a bit of an advantage. Just knowing the GC and how they are to work for and with can be a great advantage.

When the gut acts up that's from fear and fear is produced by doubt and that means you don't kown enough about the situation you are about to get into. If you can't gather enough information to cause the fear to go away then leave it alone because you are bidding in the dark.

The reason I don't bid lots of jobs is because I really have not idea of what I would be getting involved in. I may understand the electrical but I have no idea how the job will progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.