Outdoor Cook Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with an install on an outdoor cook area?

I saw one the other day on TV that was 10K. It was a prize not a DIY show, but this had it all!

The thing that got me is they had old style flap covers on individual receptacles, granted that would not fly to 08’ Code.

Then I realized that all the receptacles must be GFCI protected, but what of the panel or that circuits servicing the rest of the outdoor cook area, or even the other circuits of the cook island?

Is this an outdoor (NEMA rated) panel, and does the whole thing need a GFCI on all the breakers?

Any thoughts or insights, that someone can share?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jude, I am not following. Why would the panel need GFCI protection. Only the 120v receptacles would need GFCI protection since all outdoor 120v receptacles are req. to by art. 210.8.
Ovens/ ranges etc would not need gfci protection unless fed with a 120v recep.

If there no roof over any of this. Are there covers for the ranges etc?

I am assuming residential.

~Shado~

I have done about a dozen or so over the years.

They typically involved a gas grill (NP,LP), sinks, fridge, kegerator.
Some had a pergola of some sort, or a pizza oven, lighting, recepts, phone, cable for TV, etc.... all GFI protected.

Enjoyed doing them all, they were mostly very high end homes.

Have to see if I can find any pics.

cadpoint

~Shado~

Do you bring a small panel out to it, is this hidden on the back of the wall, or exposed?

I'll assume that you worked with both custmom and purchased ?

Thanks for your time.

~Shado~

~Shado~

Do you bring a small panel out to it, is this hidden on the back of the wall, or exposed?

Thanks for your time.

They have varied....usually it would depend on # of ckts needed.
If the exterior lighting, kitchen, etc were large enough I usually have a sub panel set specifically for outdoor requirements. Design determines location...if I can hide, great! If not, will try to keep it indoors somewhere.

We did a job about 10 years ago and the landscape contractor and GC kept adding things. When all was said and done, I really would have liked to have set a panel near an outdoor shed to power everything, but, we wound up dropping from interior sub-panels to a small troffer can in the crawl space and running UF everywhere...(a real pain!!!). The job initially was to only have a few LV lights....ended up with about 100+ LV lights, and a dozen transformers installed.

Typically though...the loads are minimal for outdoor kitchens...small fridge, maybe a cooler rack, a few recepts for a blender, etc....so, only a few UF lines are run to power things. Average maybe 2-4 ckts.

The ones I have worked on have been custom built onsite, this has allowed me and the GC to work together which really makes a diference for all involved.

Still looking for some pics, I know I have several but...where? LOL

jwjrw

Ive done at least 10. I got hooked up with a brick mason that does huge paver patios. He then designs where the grills, fridges, icemakers, rotisseries
etc go. Usally have a hot tub on it also. Some are custom built stone cubby holes for equipment some plain walls with stucco. Whole project usally around 100k.
He usally has a wetbar with fans overhead and a valience with low voltage lighting over grills etc. I love doing them.

~Shado~

Ive done at least 10. I got hooked up with a brick mason that does huge paver patios. He then designs where the grills, fridges, icemakers, rotisseries
etc go. Usally have a hot tub on it also. Some are custom built stone cubby holes for equipment some plain walls with stucco. Whole project usally around 100k.
He usally has a wetbar with fans overhead and a valience with low voltage lighting over grills etc. I love doing them.

Sound great....any pics?

Agreed....they are great to do.....

jwjrw

~Shado~

Thanks for your time.

Depends on the situation. Ive ran circuits out of existing panels and added panels. What ever is easiest and fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.