exit lighting / required locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

I have a church that I regularly do work for. On my last trip I had recommended that they install exit and emergency lights,which they immediatley gave the ok to do. The place was built in the mid 80's and is in a pretty rural area. Is there a code in most areas on the number and location to install,or is it up to the AHJ or fire marshall. The church has a seating capacity of 400, and has 4 sets of double doors as the main entrance/exit. It also has 2 side doors that could be used. I would think to install lights in all these locations but I would like to cover my tail just in case something ever did happen. I know the town doesnt have a fire marshall (they only have 1 police officer) and the entire fire department is volunteer, I just need to find out whats required, or who to ask. Thanks in advance.

satcom

I have a church that I regularly do work for. On my last trip I had recommended that they install exit and emergency lights,which they immediatley gave the ok to do. The place was built in the mid 80's and is in a pretty rural area. Is there a code in most areas on the number and location to install,or is it up to the AHJ or fire marshall. The church has a seating capacity of 400, and has 4 sets of double doors as the main entrance/exit. It also has 2 side doors that could be used. I would think to install lights in all these locations but I would like to cover my tail just in case something ever did happen. I know the town doesnt have a fire marshall (they only have 1 police officer) and the entire fire department is volunteer, I just need to find out whats required, or who to ask. Thanks in advance.

Any life safety device placement should be designed by a state licensed professional engineer or architect, the liability issues in buildings used for assembly is out of this world, if your doing work for the church make sure your both you, and the church are covered for liability, and secure all permits and inspections if required.

revolt

Perfect example of the separation of church and state. The sanctuary area may be exempt from installing exit lights and emergency lights. A sub code official was inspecting work we did in the administration offices of a church we were working at and gave the minister a hard time about no exits and emergency lights in the sanctuary. Claimed no grandfathering etc. and the church had to install them. He wanted to shut the job down and close the church. The minister told him to leave and it was exempt. The last I heard the minister was still preaching from the pulpit.

cadpoint

Building Codes or verse electrical codes are just different for this one matter, your AHJ should be providing your light level requirewment (in agreement with dennis)/ maybe even foot candle requirement at an exit. As podunk as it might be you need to meet the assembly requirement of our code and depending on the Building code meet that as well.

Depending on your regional Building Code this will require slight difference betwen .5 to 1 foot candle at an exit, the new building code (per my area)also requires an "exited lumination", Both need to be met! This means that the illumation is not always just an exit sign with bug eyes over door! As Odd as it seems.

Here's how I look at it; One luminates a direction to an exit, the path of egress needs to be met per lum inside and out! Think 90?'s you illistrate the exit direction and one provides the exit lumination!

Hope this helps!

satcom

It is not the AHJ or any of his inspectors or the fire inspector to do more then inspect, it is not their job to instruct anyone where or how to place anything, in the case of life safety installations, I would want a sealed approved print, before I installed even one exit sign, we soon forget all the disasters in places of assembly and the years of litigation. All we look at is it's a simple sign and any dummy can hang and wire it, bit just place it in the wrong pace, or miss one, and the one in the years of litigation, even if the fire chief of local inspector suggests a placement, but he does not put it in writing and seal it, it is just a suggestion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not the AHJ or any of his inspectors or the fire inspector to do more then inspect, it is not their job to instruct anyone where or how to place anything, in the case of life safety installations, I would want a sealed approved print, before I installed even one exit sign, we soon forget all the disasters in places of assembly and the years of litigation. All we look at is it's a simple sign and any dummy can hang and wire it, bit just place it in the wrong pace, or miss one, and the one in the years of litigation, even if the fire chief of local inspector suggests a placement, but he does not put it in writing and seal it, it is just a suggestion.

Well the placement is not in the electrical codes so who would you get it approved by. Around here the Fire Chief has the word and if you don't put it where he wants it then it won't pass.

satcom

Well the placement is not in the electrical codes so who would you get it approved by. Around here the Fire Chief has the word and if you don't put it where he wants it then it won't pass.

Yes, it will pass and that is exactly what a lot of guys will do, and the fire inspector will tell you where they are needed, as will the fire codes, in fire and life safety work, unlike electrical, you don't want to take it on your own to just place equipment without a sealed approved plan, and you also may want to check on your insurance coverage, most electrical contractors policies do not cover fire, and life safety work, again, a lot of guys just take a just get it done approach and do the work, they are playing with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.