2005 nec 334.12(A)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

Does anyone know the reason behind the change in the 2005 NEC that prohibits using NM cable above drop type ceilings in non residential occupancies? I am wiring a used trailer for use as offices, and the existing wiring is romex above the ceiling. I was told to run feeders overhead using NM cable, but as I read the NEC, it has to be protected by some type of raceway.

Nium

Smoke

Smoke

I believe it's to prevent the release of toxic smoke (from the NM jacket), in case of a fire, from being drawn in by the air handling system. Also the same reason white zip ties can't be used above a drop ceiling in commercial applications. That's my guess at any rate.

Volta

I would guess it is more about the rough environment above the ceilings with sharp metal, support wires, and just how careful tradespersons are . . . much less activity in residential ceiling spaces.

If it was simply about air handling spaces it could be allowed in non-air handling areas.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no real or technical reasoning. It was part of the horse trading that was used to remove the 3 story limitation on the use of NM.

kbsparky

Purely political. Horse trading, as someone else put it.

The Code is moving away from being written purely for safety's sake, and becoming more politicized by being laden with lobbyists from various industries and manufacturers.

Even the CMPs have industry "reps" on them, looking out for their own special interests.

shepelec

Yup, I say it was the companies that make MC cables that felt they needed to sell more cable. Kind of like some of the other rules that get implemented.:roll:

Can't use white tye wraps in non-plenum?? Thats a new one to me also.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would guess it is more about the rough environment above the ceilings with sharp metal, support wires, and just how careful tradespersons are . . . much less activity in residential ceiling spaces..

maybe it is the opposite, that "less careful tradespersons" are more active in commercial spaces. :grin:

hurk27

Purely political. Horse trading, as someone else put it.

The Code is moving away from being written purely for safety's sake, and becoming more politicized by being laden with lobbyists from various industries and manufacturers.

Even the CMPs have industry "reps" on them, looking out for their own special interests.

Oh no not another congress:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.