Article 230- Dual meters on a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormy

I do control wireing for my company, but I am wireing two rental homes for a friend. He has requested an extra meter on the first house to feed only the well pump that will be in the basement and provide water for both homes. What does Article 230 in NEC say about a dual meter service to a single family dwelling?

jumper

I do control wireing for my company, but I am wireing two rental homes for a friend. He has requested an extra meter on the first house to feed only the well pump that will be in the basement and provide water for both homes. What does Article 230 in NEC say about a dual meter service to a single family dwelling?

Nothing that I know of. It would be a POCO question. 230.40 simply states one service per building, there are exceptions. The service can be split to more than one meter, but usually only one service.

Hendrix

Is this so that he can pay the electric bill for the pump?
That should be no problem with the utility.

kwired

Electron manager
Treat it like any other building with multiple meters.

Each service entrance needs a disconnect. These multiple disconnects should be grouped in same location.

Each service needs grounding electroded conductor that is connected to grounding electrode and to the other service. there are multiple ways this can be accomplished.

e57

So would you not want 3? House/common for this well pump, and one each for the units? Most would do a 3 pack meter main combo (Easy fast cheap) - and treat the other building as an outside feeder circuit and as a seperate structure in terms of grounding... As for the well pump - while a sub-panel may or may not be necessary - most would put one in for flexibility later - even if it only has this one circuit for now.

kwired

Electron manager
So would you not want 3? House/common for this well pump, and one each for the units? Most would do a 3 pack meter main combo (Easy fast cheap) - and treat the other building as an outside feeder circuit and as a seperate structure in terms of grounding... As for the well pump - while a sub-panel may or may not be necessary - most would put one in for flexibility later - even if it only has this one circuit for now.

I understood his situation to be two separate buildings one of them happens to have the well equipment installed in it and serves water to both houses.

The second house probably has its own meter installed on it.

e57

I understood his situation to be two separate buildings one of them happens to have the well equipment installed in it and serves water to both houses.

The second house probably has its own meter installed on it.
I've learned never to assume.... sometimes mincing words brings out a clearer picture. That is if the OP is not going to respond with a clarification????
~I am wireing two rental homes for a friend. ~ requested an extra meter on the first house ~ provide water for both homes. ~ a dual meter service to a single family dwelling?
There are contradictions - 'two rental homes' are not a 'single family dwelling'. And while it is possible to have a service on each structure - it is unstated - and if a 'single family dwelling' - more unlikely if seperate structures. If the 'extra meter' is to serve for water for both structures - it should be common metering, just as much as the seperate structure should have it's own metering. (the other 'rental home') Sure you can in many cases have an owner pay all of the utility cost for both structures as 'single family' - but why ask for a seperate meter? To me it sounds as if it is a multi-family rental property one structure fed from the other - otherwise why mention it?

kwired

Electron manager
I've learned never to assume.... sometimes mincing words brings out a clearer picture. That is if the OP is not going to respond with a clarification????
There are contradictions - 'two rental homes' are not a 'single family dwelling'. And while it is possible to have a service on each structure - it is unstated - and if a 'single family dwelling' - more unlikely if seperate structures. If the 'extra meter' is to serve for water for both structures - it should be common metering, just as much as the seperate structure should have it's own metering. (the other 'rental home') Sure you can in many cases have an owner pay all of the utility cost for both structures as 'single family' - but why ask for a seperate meter? To me it sounds as if it is a multi-family rental property one structure fed from the other - otherwise why mention it?

I saw it they way I did because around here it would not be that uncommon. Lots of farm places here and most have multiple buildings and one water system. Not all have more than one home but there are several that do. If the owner no longer lives on the farm then he is either providing the house(s) for farm help or renting them out. There are a lot of farm places here that have two meters, one for the farm and one for the house.

The fact that it has the water well indicated to me that it is not likely within any city or village or it would likely have municipal water supply. I suppose it is possible but I have never seen a multifamily dwelling outside of a city or area with other development. I have seen vacation homes along lakes or rivers where more than one home shares the same well. Always wondered what the second home would do if the one powering the well got disconnected for any reason. At least in the OP the homes are both the same owner.

juptonstone

sub-metering

sub-metering

have you considered installing a sub-panel for the well? You could put an e-submeter in that would read the KWH used by the sub-panel and whatever it feeds. It would be a simpler solution I think... look it up at www.esubmeter.com.. plus the e-submeter doesn't require a permit in and of itself...

kwired

Electron manager
have you considered installing a sub-panel for the well? You could put an e-submeter in that would read the KWH used by the sub-panel and whatever it feeds. It would be a simpler solution I think... look it up at www.esubmeter.com.. plus the e-submeter doesn't require a permit in and of itself...

If this is two houses with a meter for each house and a well supplied by one house (like it seems to be from information so far) then if the tenant in the house that supplies power to the well does not pay his electric bill and gets shut off, then the tenant in the other house has no water.

Third meter from utility is best and most fair way to do this. Rental places get turned on and off all the time either from tenants moving or not paying their bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.