UL listing for tie wire to bundle MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkeith

Does anyone know if there is a UL approval to use tie wire to bundle MC Cable above ceiling tile? Long term practice in this area and local inspectors are fine. However, we have an out of state engineer questioning it and asking if it is UL approved.

iwire

Staff member
No, not UL approved, UL does not approve anything. UL lists items but the NEC does not require MC supports to be listed.

The NEC only requires that MC supports be 'approved'.

See 330.30 and "Approved" in the Article 100 definitions.

cpal

Does anyone know if there is a UL approval to use tie wire to bundle MC Cable above ceiling tile? Long term practice in this area and local inspectors are fine. However, we have an out of state engineer questioning it and asking if it is UL approved.

first UL does not approve (so to say) they list.

Cable ties are recognized in 330.30 (A) General as acceptable for supporting and securing of Type MC Cable.

wkeith

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I was a little too short on information the first time.

The engineer is referencing a generic statement in the spec about all materials being UL listed (not approved, sorry for the confusion). We are using the same hanger wire that is used for supporting ceiling grid and light fixtures. He is fine with those because he believes that the wire is UL listed for those applications. He's asking me to provide some reference that it is listed for the application of bundling. Our guys that have been here for 30 years have never heard this questioned before. Any advice on where to search for this listing?

Otherwise, we're reworking with UL stamped zip ties.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO when installed properly tie wire is stronger than a flimsy zip tie. Are zip ties even listed for MC cable support?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
When I first read the question I was thinking that you were using zip ties and I thought why would you do that when they will just dry out and break. Why not use tie wire.

Now that I reread it, I agree with the last two comments.:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The simplest way around this dilemma is to include tie wire in the wording of the NEC. I would argue approved means includes tie wire if that has been the SOP for a long time.
Someone write a proposal (red words added). :)

330.30 Securing and Supporting.
(A) General. Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, tie wire or similar fittings or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.