You Make The Call

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Is this exterior box on a house ready for *rough* inspection?

41d74f8f.jpg

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
See no issue here. There is a ground screw I assume on that green pig tail.

There is no feed through. so again not an issue from my seat!

Why what was the concern?

peter d

I would say yes based on the common practice of my area. Usually we just stub out the wire then cut the box in on the finish. Here you've gone halfway, so I would say "I don't know." ;)

SEO

If the grounds were made up it would be. I do not assume anything so if I were to pass it on the rough I would make a note of it and require the electrician to pull the device so that I could check it on the final which I don't like and the electrician doesn't like either.

Jim W in Tampa

If it was a plastic box yes. Being it is steel no. What do you expect the inspector to do on final to see if you grounded the box ? Take the cover off ? Nope ,i would tag it.
Actually i should answer it YES it is ready for inspection and it fails .

fondini

I said yes because it flies around here,although the grounds should be made up and proper screws [galvanized] should be used.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I say yes. It looks like work is being done, bucket of scrap ( to be spliced in the next house!!!) next to work area. Are the other boxes made up? What if this was a remodel and the rx only had 2 wires??
Need more info. or are we just picking?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know of any code article that this would violate. The idea of the boxes being made up is for the inspectors sake. They certainly don't want to open the boxes to check for proper terminations after the place has been deviced and plated.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Nothing tricky going on, just looking for opinions.

I have always been of the mindset that I would rather see unpainted conductors and shiny copper when I install the receptacles and exterior lights. Today, after an hour return trip to appease the inspector, I am finally broken.

Jim W in Tampa

I say yes. It looks like work is being done, bucket of scrap ( to be spliced in the next house!!!) next to work area. Are the other boxes made up? What if this was a remodel and the rx only had 2 wires??
If this was a remodel and you have no grounding wire i would fail you for the steel box.
Now if finish was stucco i understand leaving wire hanging out but this is not. I see this as a guy in too big of a hurry to get home. Give me a good reason for not making up the splice. Could have stripped it and wrap bare around screw and been done without splice. An inspector should view this as a worker trying to get out of work. Trust him to do it right ? NO.
Now if the inspector knows the electrician and trust him then fine.

walkerj

I say no because grounds must be made up to make the inspectors happy.

I am more worried about the deadly 14-2 Romex:grin:

I usually install a block inside to nail a regular nail-on box to.

Less truck stock.

Inspection passed that's all that matters!

Status
Not open for further replies.