You can't fight city hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

stars13bars2

From what I gather, the original poster is not having any trouble with the utility or their requirements, except that they want it inspected. The problem is the inspector wants to tell the electrician where the utility can put their drop. I assume the work that is actually under the purview of the NEC is code compliant.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Englewood has only one inspector?

Before you replace the service, get a restraining order against the inspector. List the address of the house as someplace that you belong to be. Call for reinspection, and make clear that you have a restraining order against the inspector, and that he will be arrested if he comes within 500 feet of the house.

See who shows up, and see if they can get past themselves enough to put a green tag on the service and move on with their lives. :)

zappy

Before you replace the service, get a restraining order against the inspector. List the address of the house as someplace that you belong to be. Call for reinspection, and make clear that you have a restraining order against the inspector, and that he will be arrested if he comes within 500 feet of the house.

See who shows up, and see if they can get past themselves enough to put a green tag on the service and move on with their lives. :)

Surely you jest.

One-eyed Jack

If I am understanding everthing correctly you have established a service drop connection point that is less than the required. 8ft in this case. You need to provide the ability to make a drop attachment point that will give this clearance. If this is a mast you provide the ability and meet NEC. The POCO can hit it anywhere they want even at the roof line. It becomes their problem once the hook it up. Leave enough wire for them to hook up at whatever level they want. You provide the means to do it correctly and let the Inspector and the POCO diss it out.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Surely you jest.
Yes, I do, and don't call me Shirley.

I'd say that the inspector's position is as well backed up as the electrician's claim that the inspector may do physical harm, so it seemed like a comical way to put city hall back to work for the electrician. ;)

I looked up the laws just now, just out of idle curiosity, and found that the inspector would have to have threatened him in order for him to get the restraining order. That's too bad. :D

I think Ishium will wind up replacing the mast, and probably eating the cost. This is infuriating, and this inspector's behavior is one more reason why everybody is going to need to start charging double what everything should cost just to cover these stupid cases. I would make one last attempt to appeal to the CBO, and explain that without anything on the books at the city there was no way of knowing the city's position on this issue, and that the NEC has no bearing on it.

When the CBO refuses to listen (as apparently he/she is prone to do), then the mast will have to be changed.

I like the restraining order idea. Truly thinking outside of the box.

The drip loop etc are code compliant. The drop passes over the roof but the roof does not extend all of the way to where the termination point is.

I will be rebuilding this service. I am going to meet the inspector and have him try to explain what possible benefit there is to complying to random flight of fancy. I would be inclined to fight this further but the POCO has told the HO that his power will be cut if they don't receive a meter release. I have already received two extensions.

I have seen this same thing decried many times on this site. Inspectors who have no justification except "This is the way we always do it". It is lazy thinking at best and contrary to everything I respect about good inspectors.

mcclary's electrical

I like the restraining order idea. Truly thinking outside of the box.

The drip loop etc are code compliant. The drop passes over the roof but the roof does not extend all of the way to where the termination point is.

I will be rebuilding this service. I am going to meet the inspector and have him try to explain what possible benefit there is to complying to random flight of fancy. I would be inclined to fight this further but the POCO has told the HO that his power will be cut if they don't receive a meter release. I have already received two extensions.

I have seen this same thing decried many times on this site. Inspectors who have no justification except "This is the way we always do it". It is lazy thinking at best and contrary to everything I respect about good inspectors.

This would never happen in VA. Dominion will cover the Service drop and cable for a SFD. So if this was happening here, I would cut mast down, let it hit the ground, put a blank plate on top of meter and call for inspection.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yes, I do, and don't call me Shirley.

I'd say that the inspector's position is as well backed up as the electrician's claim that the inspector may do physical harm, so it seemed like a comical way to put city hall back to work for the electrician. ;)

I looked up the laws just now, just out of idle curiosity, and found that the inspector would have to have threatened him in order for him to get the restraining order. That's too bad. :D

I think Ishium will wind up replacing the mast, and probably eating the cost. This is infuriating, and this inspector's behavior is one more reason why everybody is going to need to start charging double what everything should cost just to cover these stupid cases. I would make one last attempt to appeal to the CBO, and explain that without anything on the books at the city there was no way of knowing the city's position on this issue, and that the NEC has no bearing on it.

When the CBO refuses to listen (as apparently he/she is prone to do), then the mast will have to be changed.

I'll kick your butt if you file a restraining order against me.:D:D

Riograndeelectric

correct city of Englewood only has 1 electrical inspector.

I looked up the regulations and rules for Excel energy Colorado are. . Excel states all work mu st conform to NESC. National Electrical safety code. does any one have a copy of NESC. maybe this could help ishuim with the inspector.

I know some parts of Colorado Like Firestone . they use a private inspection agency the same as Cherry hills Colorado uses a private contracting inspection agency

Status
Not open for further replies.