Question on 6 lead 3 ph. motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadshort52

I am hooking up a 90HP 230/460 6 lead induction motor. The connection diagram shows a line #1 to 1-7, line #2 to2-8, and line 3 to 3-9. My problem is the motor leads are marked 1,2,3,4,5,6. This motor was hooked up as a part winding start and I will be hooking it up to a AC drive. I need help in ringing out the motor leads because I dont know that I can trust the current markings on the wires. Thanks in advance.

erickench

I think the reason that they have two terminals for each line is because the motor could be wired for either 230 or 460 volts. One terminal would be for a specific voltage I believe. I'm not sure.

cadpoint

Google, Image, "diagram 6 lead 3 phase motor" here

I like the first diagram (gif) as your answer, but more us to seeing the motors plate like the third one.

cadpoint

Having re-thought about it since you don't have 9 terminals your connection might be 1,2,3 Line Side with fuses across 4,5,6, Load Side.

Most like the diagrams of Forth and Sixth

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
This doesn't sound like a 6 lead motor, it sound like a 9 lead motor. Typically a dual-voltage, 6 lead motor is connected as delta for low voltage and as wye for high voltage. That is, for low voltage you'd connect 1&6, 2&4 and 3&5 and for hi voltage you'd connect 1, 2, 3 and tie 4-5-6 together. However, this type of motor would provide a 1.732 ratio from hi-to-low voltage. You indicate a 2:1 voltage ratio.

A nine lead motor typically has the same 6 leads as above, but has another three leads from another set of winding that has an internal wye connection. For low voltage you'd connect 1&7, 2&8, 3&9 and tie 4-5-6 together. This would connect the two sets of winding in parallel in a wye configuration.

For high voltage, the 9 lead motor is connected as 1, 2, 3 and you join 4&7, 5&8, 6&9. This connects the two sets of windings in a series connection in a wye configuration. The 9 lead dual voltage motor has a 2:1 voltage ratio. It would appear from your description: a 2:1 ratio, connecting 1&7, etc, that you have a 9 lead motor.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I am hooking up a 90HP 230/460 6 lead induction motor. The connection diagram shows a line #1 to 1-7, line #2 to2-8, and line 3 to 3-9. My problem is the motor leads are marked 1,2,3,4,5,6. This motor was hooked up as a part winding start and I will be hooking it up to a AC drive. I need help in ringing out the motor leads because I don't know that I can trust the current markings on the wires. Thanks in advance.
I'm with the others who've commented. All of the dual (2:1) voltage motors I've worked with have been either 9 or 12 lead. All of the 6 lead have been for start control, most commonly wye-delta.

Can you give some more specifics? Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.