You Make The Call

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Those are not the questions from Electrical Contractor Magazine that I referenced.

Here is the text and the link

http://www.ecmag.com/index.cfm?fa=article&articleID=11348
NM cable for outside lights Can I use NM cable to feed the outside lights and receptacles in a dwelling unit?

No, Section 300.9 was added to the 2008 NEC, and it specifically shows that the interiors of raceways and enclosures installed in above-grade wet locations are considered to be wet locations and require conductors suitable for use in wet locations in accordance with 310.8. NEC 34.12 does not permit Type NM cable to be used in a wet or damp location.
Well, I think there's a recipe for chicken soup hidden in 300.9, too, you just have to read enough into it. :D

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.8(C).
I don't see one mention of enclosure in that section.

Further, how on earth would we recess boxes into the sides of houses? Use 3/0 bell boxes? :confused:

Volta

Those are not the questions from Electrical Contractor Magazine that I referenced.

Yeah, after I posted that I realized that it was the EC mag that you mentioned, not Trout's NECA Q&A. But I let it ride, figuring someone would correct it if the thread was different. Just lazy sometimes :roll:.

And I agree with George, no mention of enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.