Demand factors for refrigerators in a laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvan

Can I apply table 220.56 - demand factors for kitchen equip to laboratory refrigerators? The refrigerators are not large (1920VA at 120V) and are intermittent in use similiar to kitchen ref's.

thanks in advance.

benaround

Can I apply table 220.56 - demand factors for kitchen equip to laboratory refrigerators? The refrigerators are not large (1920VA at 120V) and are intermittent in use similiar to kitchen ref's.

thanks in advance.

It would seem to make sense, but, I think 220.50 would over rule.

kwired

Electron manager

thanks in advance.

1920VA is 16A and you say that is not large? For typical kitchen refirgerator.

Karl H

1920VA @ 120 sounds like a -80 or deli case. 16 amps isn't a large load
in a lab, maybe a large heat load. I do not apply Kitchen equipment demand
factors in labs.

erickench

I doubt very much if you can apply NEC Table 220.56 to a refrigerator load. NEC Article 220.56 state's that these demand factors shall not apply to air-conditioning equipment. NEC 440 put's air conditioners and refrigerators in the same category.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The refrigerators are . . . intermittent in use similiar to kitchen ref's.
I would not treat them the same way (and I don't think the code lets you anyway). If you trip the power source to dwelling unit fridges, it will destroy food, and that could cost a few hundreds of dollars. If you trip the power source to lab fridges, it will destroy lab experiments, and that could cost tens of thousands of dollars. I would design the lab to power all of them at the same time.

dahualin

thanks in advance.

My understanding is that refrigerator is not Kitchen Equipment. 220.56 Kitchen Equipment are electric cooking equipment, dishwasher booster heaters, water heaters, etc. Basically they are not always on. That is why we can safely apply demand factor. Refrigerators are powered all the time. Maybe you can argu that its compressor is not on all the time. But it really depends on how many stuff in the refrigerator and temperature setting.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I doubt very much if you can apply NEC Table 220.56 to a refrigerator load. NEC Article 220.56 state's that these demand factors shall not apply to air-conditioning equipment. NEC 440 put's air conditioners and refrigerators in the same category.

Eric, I think you're slightly off base here. The refrigerator described here is certainly not "air-conditioning equipment." And in any case, household type refrigerators are considered "appliances" (NEC 422) not air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (NEC 440.)

Although the language in 220.56 is not explicit, I would interpret 220.56 as relating to equipment that is installed in a kitchen in other than a dwelling unit (such as in restaurants, etc.) I don't think a refrigerator in a lab would be considered "kitchen" equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.