Meyers Hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Whats the least expensive way to come out of the top of a meter section with (2) 3" grc conduits for an overhead service drop?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
wow never seen those. I thought you were messing with me at first:grin:

Nope, here's a photo:

Thomas--Betts-142SL-rw-86392-151071.jpg

e57

Sealing locknuts.
I had some (I'm looking for an unoffensive term....) Bonehead - give me grief for using them on top of an enclosure... She said that they were not rated for UV exposure... :roll: I could NOT find out.... So I swapped it... I put it on the inside, and put a bonding locknut on the out side - gave me grief about that... When I told her she'd have to find out herself why the bonding locknut cant get wet - that was the end of it... ;)

Anyway - a bonding Myrers hub is the superior product for longevity when entering from the top - it seals out water, and does little enamal damage where water would collect and rust... Where as the sides a more preferable sealing locknut would be wiser of the choices due to cost. JMSO

satcom

I had some (I'm looking for an unoffensive term....) Bonehead - give me grief for using them on top of an enclosure... She said that they were not rated for UV exposure... :roll: I could NOT find out.... So I swapped it... I put it on the inside, and put a bonding locknut on the out side - gave me grief about that... When I told her she'd have to find out herself why the bonding locknut cant get wet - that was the end of it... ;)

Anyway - a bonding Myrers hub is the superior product for longevity when entering from the top - it seals out water, and does little enamal damage where water would collect and rust... Where as the sides a more preferable sealing locknut would be wiser of the choices due to cost. JMSO

The OP was looking for the least expensive way, and my guess would be the superior way myrers hub, or meter hub would also be best for top entry, i like to use the sealing lock nuts on a side entry.

satcom

Those are not Myer hubs.

No they are meter hubs, I was just noting the cost, of a meter hub verses the cost of Myer, the OP was intrested in cost, so a sealing locknut would be the lowest cost, but not the best choice for top entry IMO.

shockin

I wish I could recall the details but for some reason an inspector rejected a similar set-up where we had used sealing L/R's. I remember doing some research on it and it sure seemed like he was correct. It may have had to do with the UL listing?

satcom

I wish I could recall the details but for some reason an inspector rejected a similar set-up where we had used sealing L/R's. I remember doing some research on it and it sure seemed like he was correct. It may have had to do with the UL listing?

The utility meter inspector will usually be the one to comment on them in my area, if they are used for top entry.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
AHJ will probably be a big part. Thinking in the top of the gear - Myers hub, in the side - sealing locknut, in the bottom, locknut. Is any buswork exposed to moisture below where the pipe enters? That may be the AHJ applying regulation.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Thinking 312.2. Then again, it all depends on 110.3(B)? Dope it up with silicone to seal against a ridge providing a weep trail?

iwire

Staff member
AHJ will probably be a big part. Thinking in the top of the gear - Myers hub, in the side - sealing locknut, in the bottom, locknut. Is any buswork exposed to moisture below where the pipe enters? That may be the AHJ applying regulation.

The NEC and UL allow a sealing lock nut in any position in a wet location.

The AHJ should have anything to say about it unless they have amended the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
No they are meter hubs, I was just noting the cost, of a meter hub verses the cost of Myer, the OP was intrested in cost, so a sealing locknut would be the lowest cost, but not the best choice for top entry IMO.

I assume the top of his gear has no provision for a meter hub you seem to assume it does. :)

My own opinion is that rigid threaded into a Myers hub is very likely to leak at the threads between the hub and the RMC.

I think the real issue is that many electricians think Myers hubs look sexy and sealing lock nuts are like a wart on a witches nose. :D

satcom

The NEC and UL allow a sealing lock nut in any position in a wet location.

The AHJ should have anything to say about it unless they have amended the NEC.

Yup, not an AHJ issue, and the only comment I ever had was from a utility meter inspector, and his comment was read the installation guide book.

Status
Not open for further replies.